Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement hardware for CS Paul Jackson Jr.?

trumpus

Hey,

I'm looking to swap out all the gold hardware on my '01 Gibson CS Paul Jackson Jr. with nickel. Having never really had to replace hardware on any guitar, I haven't a clue where to begin to look for this stuff.

med_gallery_141_10_40768.jpg

med_gallery_141_10_46313.jpg

As far as I can tell, I need:

Pickup covers and rings

Tuners

Pickguard bracket

Bridge, tailpiece and pegs that mount to guitar

Strap buttons

Knobs

Anything I might have forgotton? Anyone got any idea if this is even possible? An aged nickel would be ideal! Any advice on retailers and even specific part numbers would be great. I'm looking to do a big "tidy up" on the guitar which will also include an RS wiring upgrade and possibly new pickups...

Brian

How can I find out the specific part numbers for all the parts, and the part numbers for the appropriate replacements in nickel?

Is it as easy as just calling Gibson and talking to a customer service rep? Anyone got any specific insight, or even better, specific part numbers?

Brian

Well...

1) Pickups - replacing the pickup covers is not a job for a novice, you can get nickel covers (i'm not sure if you can get Gibson covers, but Seymour Duncan makes nickel covers)but I'd probably have a GOOD tech do the job for you.

2) Tuners - I have never seen nickel tuners, but chrome grovers rotomatics are nice and they are stock on many gibsons, Gibson/Kluson tuners have plastic buttons

3)Pickguard Bracket is chrome and you can just order a Gibson bracket from Allparts or Sweetwater

4)The bridge is either going to be a Gibson chrome plated steel or nickle plated lightweight aluminum

5)The bridge could be nickel or chrome ABR or TOM from Gibson or Tonepros, the Tonepros will come with studs.

6)The strap buttons should be plain gibson strap buttons, but you might want to replace the stock ones with Schaller Straplocks

7)The knobs could be replaced with black or amber speed knobs or black tophats

I would go to a good tech and ask for assistance if your close to one. Or call Allparts or Sweetwater and ask for assistance. Sweetwater has a GREAT tech desk and they are very helpful. If I were you, I would get help as that looks like a very nice guitar and I would not want to make any changes to it that couldn't be undone. Sorry I can't be more help, as I'm a player and not a tech. I've been playing for 30 + years and have not done any of the work your looking at. There is a forum member here named Backline another named AXE. You could PM them and ask for assistance as they are both much more knowledgeable than I am. Good luck.

Thanks so much! I guess when I wrote nickel, I really just meant some sort of silver (rather than gold) so chrome is fine!

I will try to contact some of the resources you indicated. Thanks a bunch!

If anyone else has any specific info regarding the type of bridge, part numbers, or even better, links to online catologue products, that would be great!

Brian

One of our local Gibson dealers (Guitar Showcase, Bascomb Ave. San Jose, CA) keeps a pretty good supply of

genuine Gibson parts on hand, and orders anything else I've ever needed/wanted. They have a website as well.

I think any authorized Gibson dealer should be able to order what you want.

Nickel comes as shiney grey and fades to a dull grey patina over time.

Chrome stays shiney and has a slight blueish tint compared to nickel, but I've mixed and matched and it never bothers me.

You can definitely get pickup covers too. You'll need to be specific though. Not all covers fit all models they make.

You can desolder the covers on the backside and lift off the old ones, being carefull not to catch an edge on the windings under the tapewrap.

Your bridge is a Nashville, and unless you change tuner models they will direct change too.

You don't necessarily need to change out the bridge and tailpiece threaded mounts in the body as they won't be visible anyway, but you could pry them out (they just friction fit in the body) if you want. Leave the stud in place to grip on: protect the top, etc.

Thanks for the info backline...

...what exactly did you mean by "unless you change tuner models they will direct change too"?

I was inspecting the parts a bit closer today and found that the pickguard bracket does not seem to match anything they have on the allparts or Gibson site...any ideas?

I will likely take this to a good tech to have all the parts changed (i'm not a tech, good or bad!).

Brian

...what exactly did you mean by "unless you change tuner models they will direct change too"?...

I meant Kluson for Kluson: Grover for Grover: Schaller for Schaller.

Sometimes guys upgrade from Kluson to Grover, etc.

I said it awkward like.

Archived