Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Min-ETune unit and machine heads and replacing them with manual machine heads

ricardo_vicente

I REALLY wanted to like the G-Force system on my 2015 Studio (my first Gibson LP). I loved being able to change so quickly to alternate tunings. After 6 months I couldn't take it any more and last night I spent about $60 and 45 minutes and put Gibson manual tuners on. I ordered the tuners from Amazon and if you're at all handy it's an easy change.

The technology isn't quite there yet on these units. I would consistently have at least one string that was a little off. I would adjust it and after one string bend it was a problem again. I had gotten to the point where I enjoyed playing my $399 Epiphone more than my Gibson. Last night it was like a new guitar. I love my guitar again.

Also, to Gibson's credit, I called their customer service line about the brass nut that was getting slightly grooved at the zero fret and they are sending me a replacement, that isn't as soft, for free.

I'm impressed because even if it's relatively straightforward, the fact you were doing it to such a beautiful - and no doubt, expensive - guitar must have made it seem much more daunting than doing the same to a cheap and fugly guitar; well done :)

Archived