Gibson Brands Forums

GOR Owners, will you be getting a DF?

Alouf

All right,

So we all read various posts on the DF, especially elantric's recent praising of the DF...I must admit I am tempted, but not at that ridiculous premium price.

Will you be getting a DF? Might you even be thinking of selling your GOR for a DF??

Hi Alouf

Great idea but none of the options apply to me, I am not sure about buying a DF the price in the UK seems to be going up and I want to wait until all the problems are ironed out. BTW I got my GOR 1st run used about 6 months ago so maybe I will take this route in a year or so with the DF, I'm a sucker for LE's.

Hi Alouf

Great idea but none of the options apply to me' date=' I am not sure about buying a DF the price in the UK seems to be going up and I want to wait until all the problems are ironed out. [/quote']

The first is the "yes" option ;)

The "in the mail" part was an attempt at humor, lol

Thanks for the clarification Alouf =P~ I now made my vote, thing is it is pretty funny cause I was waiting for one to come in the post for 8 weeks and it never arrived! Funds now partly gone elsewhere so I will have to wait a little longer before playing the waiting game again

I don't know. Maybe at some point I would consider it but there are other, better guitar modeling guitars out there and those would be worth a look at first I think.

I mean consider the Fender VG and the Line 6 Variax (currently unavailable actually but there are rumors about a second model). The only thing the DF has going for it, for me, is that it's a Gibson... and I would like another LP at some point. Maybe a Traditional... we'll see.

Hi Alouf

Great idea but none of the options apply to me' date=' I am not sure about buying a DF the price in the UK seems to be going up and I want to wait until all the problems are ironed out. BTW I got my GOR 1st run used about 6 months ago so maybe I will take this route in a year or so with the DF, I'm a sucker for LE's.[/quote']

I got my GOR 1st run used.

How much did you get her for and where from?

Just to see If I got a good deal or not! ](*,)

I don't know. Maybe at some point I would consider it but there are other' date=' better guitar modeling guitars out there and those would be worth a look at first I think.

I mean consider the Fender VG and the Line 6 Variax (currently unavailable actually but there are rumors about a second model). The only thing the DF has going for it, for me, is that it's a Gibson... and I would like another LP at some point. Maybe a Traditional... we'll see.

[/quote']

Agreed. I am waiting for the Variax2 as well. But nothing seems to be panning on Line6 side yet beside the hashing and rehashing of the 10 years old algorithms in different formats.

My opinion concerning price:

1) The GOR was debuted at $2400/$4000 MRSP. This was, essentially, a Les Paul Studio model that contained electronics. It had a couple bells and whistles to introduce the concept, such as ebony wood, neck binding – and a unique, full finish.

The Les Paul Studio is the cheapest Gibson Les Paul you can get. New, somewhat unfinished, Les Paul Studios can be had for around $900. All the other Les Paul (normal) models cost much more, usually 2K and higher, from what I can tell.

2) The DF debuted at $3500/$4200 MRSP and it contained more electronics. From what I can determine, this guitar seems to be a composite between the Gary Moore BFG and a 2008 Standard. Gibson says it’s something entirely new. In any case, these are expensive guitars!

3) The (my assumed) cost of Tronical electronics imply that they would be placed in medium to expensive guitars for some length of time. I think these would roll out in terms of years, not months. I believe it will take some years to a) settle on some standard Tronical guitar configurations; :P get the cost of the electronics reduced; and c) get the battery right – (in my opinion, the battery is the weakest high-tech link in any product right now).

I really do not think you will see much of a price break for some time. Instead, you may see the price go up.

Regarding that last Robot price drop, figure it at $800. That was significant. It was especially a deal for the LE guitars. But, look, we’re talking about a clear-out of version 1 for version 2 more than …. (oops… gotta get back to this.)

Hi gang,

I'm not getting a DF. Although I played one in my local guitar Center over the weekend. Plays beautifully. I like the matte finish on the back of the neck. I was disappointed that the grain on teh top did nto "mirror". Btu as the GC staff said, consider it mroe character! The tuning is fast. And I guess it's nice not having to unlock the tuners. But they feel disconnected when you tune manually. You are actually moving the gears within the tuning head; you are not directly connected to the string. The MCK on the one I played felt rough (as has been discussed a lot on the DF forum). And there was a lot of popping and static when pulling the MCK out or pushing it back in. That never happens with my original Robot.

As this thread morphed into "what did you pay for your Robot"...I bought mine the first day. Like most retailers, Guitar Center "discounted them from the MSRP to $2,199. That weekend they had a 10% off sale on just about everything in the stoer. So I paid $1,979.

That day started the three month/four Robot adventure I previously wrote about in the thread titled "Your Experiences With the Robot...Good and Bad!

As this thread morphed into "what did you pay for your Robot"...I bought mine the first day. Like most retailers' date=' Guitar Center "discounted them from the MSRP to $2,199. That weekend they had a 10% off sale on just about everything in the stoer. So I paid $1,979.[/quote']

How would you compare both, tone wise? since you tried them both

i had payed $1200 for my metallic red SG (thank God for eBay lol) and it was in perfect condition.

I wouldn't get the DF for 2 reasons:

1) The electronics and the computer portion of the guitar seem WAY to hard unless you're computer savvy:-k

2) I personally think that a LP has a weird kind of feel.

Hey Alouf,

First, I gotta say I'm happy with my Robot and like the tone I get. Once I got a good one (on the fourth try)!

I wasn't comparing side-by-side, but right out of the box, (that is none of the DF's special effects turned on), I prefer it the Robot's 490R and 489T tone to that of the Burstbucker/P90 combo on the Dark Fire.

But what's cool about the DF is having all the different tones right on board (although I barely scratched the surface of that).

And I like the DF's ability to blend the piezo into either or both the Burstbucker and P90. Of course, if that's all you want, the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra has a similar "acoustic sound" capability with the nano-mag pickup. You can't blend it from 0 to 100% like the DF piezo. But the LP Ultra lets you separate the nano output from the other pickups and do the blending on your mixer board or at the amp.

At the end of the day, the beauty of the tone is up to the individual. Here in NJ, it's like, who has the best pizza?

Agreed. I am waiting for the Variax2 as well. But nothing seems to be panning on Line6 side yet beside the hashing and rehashing of the 10 years old algorithms in different formats.

I've just ordered a Veriax 300 actually (I say ordered; I have ordered it, still no sign of it yet although the shop did say they had phoned line 6 to check they still had them). Actually going to use it as a replacement for the Robot when I need to tune fast but don't want to take a decent guitar along (to a pub for example).

Hi Stevezapp,

£1690 from a guy on ebay who had brought it over from the States while he was on a business trip. At the time I had paid in full £1900 to Music Ground Leeds who after 12 weeks never came up with the goods (despite it being a Buy It Now item on ebay). I now see they have a few (advertised as the very last new 1st run GOR!!!) advertised for around the £2000 mark.

IMO around £1500 is a reasonable price for one of these but there are some dreamers out there and I have seen people asking £3k +!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Stevezapp' date='

£1690 from a guy on ebay who had brought it over from the States while he was on a business trip. At the time I had paid in full £1900 to Music Ground Leeds who after 12 weeks never came up with the goods (despite it being a Buy It Now item on ebay). I now see they have a few (advertised as the very last new 1st run GOR!!!) advertised for around the £2000 mark.

IMO around £1500 is a reasonable price for one of these but there are some dreamers out there and I have seen people asking £3k +!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

Yeah, I think around the £1500/1600 mark is about right then.

I have a very short attention span (12 guitars in 6 years is my record so far), so at one point I thought about cashing her in, but the more I play her, the more i get attached. I think this one's the keeper. I did have her up for sale for £1900k, but had no offers, so that's a good indication of price.

And with regards to the DF upgrade, if it's gonna permanently scar my GOR (ie drilling etc) then I wont be partaking.

No one wants a '59 Gibson that has been upgraded with a bigsby etc...

Yeah' date=' I think around the £1500/1600 mark is about right then.

I think this one's the keeper. I did have her up for sale for £1900k, but had no offers, so that's a good indication of price.

And with regards to the DF upgrade, if it's gonna permanently scar my GOR (ie drilling etc) then I wont be partaking.

No one wants a '59 Gibson that has been upgraded with a bigsby etc...

[/quote']

I think that in the future you would definately regret off loading this guitar. The build and finish not to mention playability is superb on mine, way in excess of my 2008 LP Standard. I'm not too keen on the colour preferring natural tops with some grain showing.

I totally agree with you ref upgrading this will adversly affect value in the future, however if a removable mod for faster tuning machines were available.

Archived