Gibson Brands Forums

1999 Epiphone SG

AzAz

Hello everyone! I'm from Singapore and i'm new to this forum. I need help. I've bought a 1999 Epiphone SG from Carousell (its like ebay) from someone in my country too. The problem is I can't figure out the exact model of the guitar and i'm not sure of the specs. All I know are the following:

1) Wilkinson tuners

2) Emgs 81/81

3) Gibson truss rod cover

4) Slanted epiphone logo

5) It seems like a 3pc wood because there are distinctive lines that shows 3 different woods (mahogany?)

The guitar is not with me now but i have 4 pictures of it with me.

And i would like to thank everyone who read and replied in advanced! Just a newbie who knows little of guitar :/

post-71104-024146000 1426156796_thumb.jpg

post-71104-023295200 1426156817_thumb.jpg

post-71104-027125900 1426156845_thumb.jpg

post-71104-042508600 1426156860_thumb.jpg

I have a 2001 G-400 and it has the batwing pick guard. I'm guessing the pickups are aftermarket as well as the knobs. Mine came with reflector knobs and Alnico Classic pickups.

How's the input jack. Looks like the wood is split around it. That happened to my G-400 as well as a result of band-mates or myself stepping on the cable. I ended up putting a strat style input jack in.

IMG_0906_zpsf07be558.jpg

LPS1976: 66'? The serial number says thats its made on 99'. So its a G-400 then? Is there any difference on the guitar compared to the current G-400 other than the Gibson truss rod cover and the slanted Epiphone logo?

Deeman: Yup i guess its okay, doesn't affect the sound. Mine came with reflector knobs too but the first two chipped i guess. Thats a cool thing you did there with the strat input jack! But you should've placed it the other way round so the cable doesn't come off easily, just like Steve Vai's JEM guitars. And it looks kinda weird, you should've gotten a matte black color or sprayed it black, it looks better in my opinion.

THANKS FOR REPLYING 👍

LPS1976: 66'? The serial number says thats its made on 99'. So its a G-400 then? Is there any difference on the guitar compared to the current G-400 other than the Gibson truss rod cover and the slanted Epiphone logo?

Deeman: Yup i guess its okay, doesn't affect the sound. Mine came with reflector knobs too but the first two chipped i guess. Thats a cool thing you did there with the strat input jack! But you should've placed it the other way round so the cable doesn't come off easily, just like Steve Vai's JEM guitars. And it looks kinda weird, you should've gotten a matte black color or sprayed it black, it looks better in my opinion.

THANKS FOR REPLYING

NOT A REAL '66. Like this: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/SG/TV-Silver-1966-G-400-PRO.aspx

Epi used truss rod covers with Gibson on them up until the early to mid 2000 (not sure when they stopped). structurally, there is probably no difference in the one you have and the current models.

Archived