Gibson Brands Forums

G400 pro buzz

Nossit

I recently upgraded to a tube amp and my G400 pro is buzzing like CRAZY. I thought it was the amp but my coworkers Carvin worked perfectly. Is it the cheaper pickups or do I need to shield the thing? Would a noise gate fix it? What are some different tests I can do?

If you have a multimeter, you could check all metal parts (inside and out) for continuity.

You can use the nut on the input/output jack as a base ground point.

If you do not have a meter you can use a piece of wire.

Cut a piece about 1' long. Attach it to the guitar jack between the nut and the washer.

PLUG IN TO YOUR AMP and turn it on.

Touch the other end of the wire to all metal parts, one at a time (inside and out).

If the buzzing stops then you have found the ground break.

The two most common points are a bad molex connection (if you have the stock "plug in" wiring)

Often the culprit is the wire going to the bridge stud. The wire is simply fed into the hole before

the bushing is pressed in.

One last thought. You haven't changed your saddles to Graphtech (non conductive) saddles?

On my Gibson the strings are grounded at the tailpiece, but, my Epi L.P. is grounded to the bridge.

Not sure on the G400.

It may not find the problem, but it's a place to start.

Good luck.

Willy

Since I'm not tech savvy for guitars at all, should I just pull the back cover off and see if the ground is soldered? I'm guessing it should be on the jack. If it isn't I'll fix it but if it is, I might try to get Epiphone to fix it.

I'm nervous to do much guitar work because I darn near destroyed an esp with a Floyd Rose on it when I was a kid trying to fix that thing.

Archived