Gibson Brands Forums

Admin: Solid rumours say no more ES-335 Historics from Nashville - true?

Troels

After the launching of the new Gibson website a major question has come up: Has the production of the Custom Shop ES-335 Historic(s) stopped or is it moved to Memphis.

Nashville Custom Shop and the Historic ES-335's are not to be found on the new website like for instance the Les Pauls.

Is the reason just the way of launching the website (step by step) or is it really true that the Nashville ES-335 production is gone?

Also www.gibsoncustom.com is no longer available and points down to www.gibson.com

What's the truth here and what's not.

Thanks in advance.

i'm curious about this too.

Though I'm afraid Nashville production may be done for ES models. I just got back from the NAMM show in Anaheim. Gibson was showing four different "1959 Dot ES-335" models and two cherry red Trini Lopez models (with trapeze and a stop tail). These were the only ES-335 models on display. (There was also an ES-359, and ES-345 and a BB King model)

The four 1959 models were gloss Sunburst & a Blonde and a VOS (aged) Sunburst and a Blonde.

The new 1959 ES-335 and the Trini Lopez are listed in the new Gibson Custom 2009 printed catalog that they had there for the taking.

These were beautiful instruments that rival any Historic I've seen. Really beautiful job Gibson! Holly headstock, thin binding, beautful finish, no impressed serial number on the back of the headstock (just like a Historic RI), though the serial number was printed in ink on the back as "protoype". Nice 59 neck shape. Low neck angle. No "Memphis" black paint in the F-holes... it was kinda cream/light brown colored.

But guess what?... I looked at the orange label. They were all listed as "prototype", and the labels said "Memphis, TN", not Nashville, TN.

So... the 1959 Dot reissue is now a Memphis guitar (not Nashville). I was also there as a Gibson sales guy was talking to a buyer. He said that ALL ES production has been moved from Nashville to Memphis.

This is not the Fat Neck as they called one of the models last year. This is listed as 1959 ES-335 Dot and is introduced in the new 2009 Catalog.

No more Nashville ES guitars I guess?...

I've e-mailed Gibson Customer Service in Nashville - and here is the answer:

Hello,

Thanks for writing. Here is a link to the currently produced models: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Search.aspx

The 59 and 63 are produced at the custom shop in Memphis. The site is still a work in progress and we apologize. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks again,

William Baugh

Customer Service Representative

Gibson Guitar Corp

Nashville, TN

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

My comment: So this is it - ES-335 is now all Memphis - which I believe is good as they've increased build quality and overall quality A LOT within the last two years.

eusa_shifty.gif sorry but admin is no more since a few months ago. let us know if you ever found the truth!

I didn't know that...

Anyway, Gibson Customer Service has given the answer. It's a fact now that the complete production of ES-335 have moved to the Memphis Custom Shop. No more Historics from Nashville. But fine guitars from Memphis - including a nicely made successor for the Historic.

The reason for asking this forum was, that Gibson sometimes relase conflicting informations (God knows why) - but this one seems now confirmed from more than two different independent sources.

=P~ just asked gibson europe these questions and heres what they told me.

for so far still the both historic 59&63 es335 models seem to be available.........thats good!

Thank you for your interest in Gibson guitars.

The 1954 Les Paul Custom and 1954 Les Paul Goldtop' date='

the 1959 ES-335 and the 1962 ES-335 are still in production and available.

Please contact us again if you have more questions.

Kind regards,

Customer Service

Gibson Europe

FREE NUMBER

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com[/quote']

Sometimes Gibson say one thing and sometimes another... I'm afraid.

I wonder about one-of special orders or the Crossroads 335 which were all coming from Nashville before?

By the way I'm impressed with the Memphis quality level particularly at the price point of the ES339 if that's an example of their work (although there were some gouges from scraping the binding and a tiny bit of chatter on the neck binding in the plane of the fretbaord, easily fixed of course but still not "perfection."). All in all it has a quality feel, playability, look, and sound.

I wonder about one-of special orders or the Crossroads 335 which were all coming from Nashville before?

By the way I'm impressed with the Memphis quality level particularly at the price point of the ES339 if that's an example of their work (although there were some gouges from scraping the binding and a tiny bit of chatter on the neck binding in the plane of the fretbaord' date=' easily fixed of course but still not "perfection."). All in all it has a quality feel, playability, look, and sound.[/quote']

As far as I'm concerned after a bit research Nashville will continue the Historic ES-335s. The Crossroad ES-335 was a limited run, I believe, and may have stopped now.

that's good to know they'll still make the Nashville Historic 335's. It seems the ones I saw at NAMM were a special (memphis made) run for 2009 only of a 59 reissue. Kind of like the 1958 RI they did last year.

It was still a very nice instrument, and built very well. You would not be able to tell the difference between it and a Historic Reissue just by looking at it.

Unfortunately I just sent off my brand new (one month old) '63 Historic 335 to Gibson Repair. The neck began to twist a couple weeks ago... the headstock was warping counterclockwise and the relief was greater on the bass side than the treble side.. Very disappointed and sad, not to mention sick at the thought of the huge amount of money these guitars cost and now I'm without a guitar. Hopefully Gibson can fix it... I am not sure how it works with their warranty.

So even with the quality of a Nashville built guitar, there can still be issues. So I'm of the opinion the Memphis/Nashville thing doesn't matter so much. A good guitar is a good guitar, and one can be built at either location.

i remember the wait you had to get yours. I'm happy to hear your still liking it.

I had one last year but stupidly sold it to purchase another guitar. I missed it so much I bought a new one last month... It was finished more beautifully than my first one, and it felt better too (lighter weight, nice neck profile)... then the headstock started to twist... if it were an older guitar it probably wouldn't be the end of the world and it could be made to play well, but since it is 30 days old... it's probably not a good sign that the neck is turning. I hope the wait to get it (or a new one) back isn't too long. $4K for a guitar is alot of money.

it was musicians friend. it was the only one I could find anywhere at the time. unfortunately they have a 10 day return policy for expensive guitars, so I can't send it back now. which is ok, because it was perfect when it arrived.

it was not strung to pitch, and I wonder if it was stored that way at their warehouse. So perhaps not being at full tension, the neck issue didn't show itself. Once I had it for a couple of weeks at concert pitch, that's when the neck issue became apparent. anyway, since I can't return it, my only option is the Gibson warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. Filler around the 12th fret dot inlays, chatter/file marks just above the 19th fret, nubs aren't too clean at 16th, 17th, 18th, file mark on the fretboard near the nut, and why isn't there any black lacquer covering the tearout of the middle ply in the f-hole?

Interesting there's no serial number on the headstock. Are they only on the paper sticker for '59 ES's?

Oh by the way, what was the point about Memphis - I don't see any mention of Memphis or Nashville in the ebay listing.

Archived