Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone change pots in their Robot?

Mr. Roboto

I bought some RS superpots with hopes of swapping out the volumes. When I opened her up, I noticed that all 4 pots, including the MCK, are secured to a metal looking plate. I could not get either of the volume pots out as they seemed to require too much force. I thought about removing all 4 at once, but I'm afraid of the MCK.

Since the Robot is also my 1st LP, I'm not sure if the metal plate is common to all LP's

Anyone have some insight on this?

TIA

I own a Gibson studio & a std LP.

There is no plate in either one of them. My SG GOR has no plate either.

I'd be pretty careful if I were you in changing out the POTS. What is the reason you are doing this?

Just curious.

My volume now acts more like an on/off switch. I'm not real happy with the taper as it's hard to get the guitar to clean up. Supposedly the RS superpots remedy this.

I'd like to swap them, but it seems more trouble than its worth. Unless there is some secret to removing the old ones.

If you want the guitar to "clean up" as you turn it down - try adding a 250pF cap across the Volume Pot's two ungrounded legs. This is a trick many vintage Telecastor guys know - and Joe Walsh mentioned it in an old Guitar Player mag in '72 as his "trick".

Archived