Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Plus

Campbell

I just had a few questions with regards to the Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Plus

for the owners of this model(more for the EX rather than the GX model):

First off, would you say the build quality is equal to or on par with that of the Tribute Plus?

I see that it does not have the deep set neck joint, for one. I also have noted from the several online

reviews I've read, that it's about 50/50 when it comes to the build quality, where as the Tribute Plus

seems to have mainly favorable reviews (I own a Tribute Plus and can sing her praises enough!)

Secondly, my personal preference for the EX over the GX is merely cosmetic. That said, I'm not sure

how well I'd enjoy the EMG pick-ups over more traditional passive ones (like on the GX). So, that in mind,

would it be a major deal to swap out the pups from active to passive?

Any intelligent and informative feedback would be greatly appreciated, kids! Thanks.

Wow! Nothing!?! [confused]

Not a good sign.

I would say the build quality is on par with the Tribute. I think they are made in the same factory.

swapping electronics over to passive wouldn't be that big of a deal but it may be costly (depending on what pickups you go with). you'd need to also swap out the pots, wiring, and jack.

I would say the build quality is on par with the Tribute. I think they are made in the same factory.

swapping electronics over to passive wouldn't be that big of a deal but it may be costly (depending on what pickups you go with). you'd need to also swap out the pots, wiring, and jack.

Thank you for the feedback (no pun intended).

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard back from the folks at Gibson.

My two questions for them regarding this model were:

1) Does it have a "deep set" neck like the Tribute Plus?

2) How could one identify (by serial number? year made?) if theirs a the ebony

fret board (since some rosewoods can look very dark).

Answers:

1) No, it has a standard neck setting.

2) Some might still have the ebony fret board. "If it looks dark,

"it might be ebony."

Unlike the Tribute Plus models which I rarely ever read a bad review about,

it seems the Prophecy models are about 50/50 when it comes to the issue

of quality control. I read just as many reviews that rave about how well they are made

as those which complain about the workmanship. I'm still on the fence about this model. [confused]

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, couldn't do it. Just seemed to be too many negative reviews with respect to the overall quality of this model (about 50/50...some were good, some were defected). And I think I would be hard pressed to find another Epiphone Les Paul that could top my Tribute Plus, so...

I decided to "jump ship" and ordered a PRS Paul Reed Smith SE Bernie Marsden in black.

IMG_2101.jpg

Like the Tribute Plus models, it too has the "deep set" neck. And, also like the Tribute Plus, I could not find a bad review on this model (not too close to any guitar shops, so I must rely on the Interweb for my guitar shoppin'!)

What's also cool about this model is, unlike other signature model artist, Bernie actually plays this guitar...stock even!

I've heard a lot of good things about the quality of PSR's. I know these models are made in Korea and all my Korean made guitars are of impeccable quality.

So, now I anxiously await her arrival!

(Pix of the actual one I will receive shall follow if anyone has any interest.)

Nah, couldn't do it. Just seemed to be too many negative reviews with respect to the overall quality of this model (about 50/50...some were good, some were defected). And I think I would be hard pressed to find another Epiphone Les Paul that could top my Tribute Plus, so...

I decided to "jump ship" and ordered a PRS Paul Reed Smith SE Bernie Marsden in black.

IMG_2101.jpg

Like the Tribute Plus models, it too has the "deep set" neck. And, also like the Tribute Plus, I could not find a bad review on this model (not too close to any guitar shops, so I must rely on the Interweb for my guitar shoppin'!)

What's also cool about this model is, unlike other signature model artist, Bernie actually plays this guitar...stock even!

I've heard a lot of good things about the quality of PSR's. I know these models are made in Korea and all my Korean made guitars are of impeccable quality.

So, now I anxiously await her arrival!

(Pix of the actual one I will receive shall follow if anyone has any interest.)

that's pretty sweet!

Archived