Gibson Brands Forums

"Maiden Voyage" of Mustang IIIv2 @ Rehearsal Last Night

Silvercrow

Last night I used my new-to-me Mustang III v2.2 at rehearsal, along with my trusty Les Paul Studio. VERY good tone- no problems with the amp whatsoever! Even our "never-happy-wanna-be-guitarist soundperson" could find nothing to complain about...with the amp anyway.

I'm using the amp as a monitor and first SoundGuy says I need to move it, because "If you're doing some 'bassy runs' it's kinda aimed at Rod (bass player)", standing 3 feet rear and left of me, and "your guitar frequencies might well interfere with his monitor." Folks, you'd have to see our set up to appreciate how ludicrous this statement is. It's worship team practice [nowhere near what I'm used to with loud stage volumes] and my amp/monitor is no where near cranked. Plus our bass guy has a large monitor aimed directly at him...but I digress.

So I cock it a litle more right, toward me and one of the backup vocals. Bass man Rod is smirking and stage whispers to me "Thanks man,the frequencies were freakin' me out!"

Later SoundGuy says I really need to get a tilt stand for my amp- "After all, our ears are not in our knees!" I tell him that is an excellent point, and that I'll take that 'under advisement' (i.e. I ain't doin no such thing- not necessary for this stage).

The one thing he has an issue with that I agree is annoying is my Micro Vibe pedal started making a loud popping noise when turning on or off. I've checked everything- it's the switch. Apparently this is an issue with Voodoo Lab pedals and apparently the company will fix them, new or not. I'm only using it on one song; "In Christ Alone" which opens with our keyboardist / multi-instrumentalist doing a solo on the tin-whistle. Very haunting and I'm supporting him with some light arpeggiated chords using the Micro Vibe.

All in all went very well!

Special thanks to Kidblast who was instrumental (pun intended) in helping me sort-out the amp and "signal out" information.

Gotta get this in there- In all my years I've never had a guitar that I've bonded so completely with as my 2000 LP Studio. Man I love that guitar! [love]

Thanks all! Hope all your upcoming gigs are spectacular, toneful and full of encores!

Brian

Archived