Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Dot Neck Tenon Size Changes

Jayz

I understand that at some point Gibson returned to making the longer style neck tenon in their ES335 Dot's to improve neck stability. I have a 2003 Dot (Memphis made) and it has the short tenon. I'm looking to buy another ES335 Dot and am hoping someone can confirm that Gibson returned to making the longer tenon and what year that change was made.

Thanks.

I understand that at some point Gibson returned to making the longer style neck tenon in their ES335 Dot's to improve neck stability. I have a 2003 Dot (Memphis made) and it has the short tenon. I'm looking to buy another ES335 Dot and am hoping someone can confirm that Gibson returned to making the longer tenon and what year that change was made.

Thanks.

If you go to the Les Paul Forum & seach the "Other Gibsons" section, something might come up, as I do recall this specifically being discussed. I'm leaning towards 2012, but can't recall for sure.

I have a 2010 ES-330L that came with a long tenon, but it was not generalized to other models at that time.

Does the long tendon extend under the neck pickup cavity of a Dot ES-335? If so, about the first opening year (2001) of the Memphis CS, I can see in the video that the tendon extends into the cavity. However, I don't know why your 2003 would be short tendon. msp_confused.gif

I only know long tendon extends in the neck cavity for Les Paul's.It's a rather quick shot of the tendon showing the CNC of the neck cavity (0:30) and gluing of the neck (2:16). Is that what a long tendon looks like for ES-335?

126435d1415094601-long-tenon-neck-tenon.jpg

Archived