Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Red with black Binding, Ebony Fretboard

kreegu

Hi at the forum

I got myself a second hand ES-335, red with black binding and an Ebony Fretboard today. It has a limited Edition stamp on the back side of the neck and the Serial # is 00710463.

It seems to me that the black binding and the Ebony fretboard is unusual. The red seems a bit darker than the usual cherry you see. Does anybody know anything about the guitar ? I bought it second hand, but it is in new condition, it was never played at all. I payed about $ 1700.- for it. What do you think ?

I further have a question about the electronics: If I set the pickup switch in the middle and turn one of the volume pots down but leave the other fully open, there's no output anymore. This is rather strange as I thought one of the pickups should still produce output.

What's the secret here ?

Thanks

kreegu

I owned an exact versus of this limited edition es 335. It sold in two hours. It was a beautiful sounding guitar not like the current laminented 335, grap being sold today. The blues that came out that guitar was amazing. The only problem I had with this guitar was the size. It was too big for me to play high and tight (jazz style) under my right elbow. The black bindings, transluent red color and the solid hard maple top was just right.

I'm still sorry that I sold it.=D>

She's a keeper!

Archived