Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire is a great Guitar.

elantric

i don't have a DF but pretty impressed by what it can do and my hat off to Gibson for pushing the envelope!

however, does anyone find it odd that Gibson felt they needed to label the volume knobs with "neck" and "bridge", and also the pickup switch with "Neck P90" and "Bridge HB" instead of the classic "rythm" and "treble" labels...? i can understand the rotary indication for the piezo amount....

those a couple little minor details, but my impression is it cheeses it up.... as if the guitar was intended for people that don't know the controls on a regular LP... but i'm thinking most people buying a DF are either a) actually already own a regular LP, or :- are very familiar with how a LP works...

vol knobs easily switched out... (I actually prefer the witch hat knobs... rather than the speed knobs... although for mck, that's needed).... but is that black ring around the pickup switch easily changed?

oh - and one more thing - the font they chose for the Dark Fire logo is pretty lame... with a name like "Dark Fire" would have been nice to get a more agressive font....

in any case... hope everyone is enjoy their DF.... i can see myself eventually getting one of these in a year or two...

cheers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most cosmetic hardware can be easily swapped out.

When I bought mine, I figured I would be surrounded here on the forums by seasoned session players who could see the advantages of the Dark Fire during recording sessions.

But I think Gibson's Market Research indicates the bulk of Robot / Dark Fire owners are 1st year guitar students of all ages - from 6- to 60.

There is the border line "playschool" aspect of having every part labeled. Perhaps future versions will have even more parts engraved with "Bridge" , "Tail Piece", "Tuner," "Nut" and then Esteban can hawk it on late night infomercials. :-

"Esteban pimps his guitar and recounts the sad tale of his accident, then jams with the dude from the Ronco infomercials."

MI-Canuck wrote:...but i'm thinking most people buying a DF are either a) actually already own a regular LP, or ](*,) are very familiar with how a LP works...

Elantric wrote:...But I think Gibson's Market Research indicates the bulk of Robot / Dark Fire owners are 1st year guitar students of all ages - from 6- to 60.

Hi!

I'm sure you've heard of the meaning of assume? Many years ago (grade school) in a land far, far away (Colorado), I learned to play on a ratty old acoustic (Kay). Then I bought a Gretsch from my high school school bus driver who taught me to play Chet Atkins' style (he was very good, the bus driver; Chet was the best). My freshman year in college, I had to sell my Gretsch, my amp, and just about everything else.

From then until this year, I've played nothing but acoustics (mainly finger-style), putting my wife and me through school teaching just about every stringed instrument you can name and playing in several different bands (mostly folk and bluegrass). Then came kids, career, and all the rest (I don't know if you're old enough to understand). Many years passed. This year, arthritis and all, I decided to replace my long-lost Gretsch with a Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, then came a Variax, etc. I've always enjoyed playing in alternate tunings, and fell in love when the Dark Fire was introduced. This Gibson LP is the sweetest playing, sweetest sounding guitar I've ever played in my life! Since purchasing it, I rarely play anything else, but I'm damned glad they labelled those pots (this is my first experience with an LP), and Elantric and others on this forum have provided such great guidance (thanks!). My elderly brain needs all the help it can get! So don't judge too hastily...you'll get there soon enough. The DarkFire is wonderful; now please stop rattling my cage so I can go back to playing my Dark Fire! (grins)

Good eyes

Yes its a nice ride - but owned by a bass player I know. He came to rehearsal one day driving it, and the weather was nice so he let me take pics of my Gretsch in the passenger seat.

1_full.jpg

TestarossaLarge.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

I kept telling him "nice Fiero" - to which he had no reply.

That's a beautiful Gretsch, Elantric! Someone mentioned there was a Ferrari in there somewhere? BTW, from my previous post until now, I've been enthusiastically playing my Dark Fire; it's cured my arthritis! Please notify Gibson and the networks ASAP!

Thank you for your input, inspiration, and entertainment!!!

Archived