Gibson Brands Forums

strings on epiphone

Richie321

hi guys. when playing the j160e or the epiphone copy ej160e and if your using pyramid flats . whats best to use a wound G or a plain. i think thes strings sound fine both played acousticaly and plugged in to a amp. but if im enjoying playing unplugged .would a plain G be ok or should i stick with a wound??. bye the way its great to be back i left the place about 2 years or so back.but ive desided to rejoin.

hi guys. when playing the j160e or the epiphone copy ej160e and if your using pyramid flats . whats best to use a wound G or a plain. i think thes strings sound fine both played acousticaly and plugged in to a amp. but if im enjoying playing unplugged .would a plain G be ok or should i stick with a wound??. bye the way its great to be back i left the place about 2 years or so back.but ive desided to rejoin.

Hello Richie, and welcome back to the great place that is this forum.

Personally I'd stick with the wound 3rd; I use wound 3rds and find them to be a bit more full of tone, easier for bends, and good for tuning stability. This is based on playing electric, but I play those acoustically most of the time due to lack of a decent amp.

thanks mate . yeah ive just got a set and i got told they had the plain 3rd but strings direct who sent them made a mistake .rhey told me they had a plain G but its not its wound. they apologised. so im using a set with wound G .there ok. once these are due to be changed ill be sticking with round wound nickel flats are ok but im not 100% sure if there for me lol

thanks mate . yeah ive just got a set and i got told they had the plain 3rd but strings direct who sent them made a mistake .rhey told me they had a plain G but its not its wound. they apologised. so im using a set with wound G .there ok. once these are due to be changed ill be sticking with round wound nickel flats are ok but im not 100% sure if there for me lol

Flat or tape wound strings always sound a little dull to me - great for Jazz

You might want to try others i.e. phosphor bronze, light gauge. (.12-.53)

Personally I think you need at least lights to drive the top. .11's are in the category of "custom lights"

I was using Elixer PB Nanoweb lights on my EJ-200SCE, switched to same strings, but in medium gauge (.13-.56) and WOW...

HUGE difference. Much louder and more defined bass end.

Archived