Gibson Brands Forums

Specs on J-40

Berserker82

I just recently received a 71 gibson j40 as a gift. Needed a little work but pleased with it, especially for someone who had only been playing for a year. I don't know alot about this guitar. I have heard it described as a stripped down version of j45. What makes it "stripped down"? Also, I have heard mixed things about it having laminated back and sides where others have said it is solid mahogany. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Not a whole lot of difference between the J40 and J45. There were times during the J40's run that they may have had a pin bridge, other times a pinless bridge, sometimes white binding, sometimes black or tortoise....I've always figured the J40 was just a model that existed not because of its attributes but rather to fit a certain price range and therefore there were some liberties taken with the specs.

My opinion more than anything. It was just a cheap Gibson acoustic. And I do NOT mean that in a disparaging way; it was just a basic guitar (and I will applaud that until I hurt my palms).

As to laminate or not....

At any time during the 60s and 70s there was a chance of a Gibson being laminated and the model's status in the lineup had no bearing. I, myself, had a '68 Dove with lam sides. In fact I may have had OTHER 60s Gibsons with lam sides and/or backs and didn't even know it. The only reason I knew on the Dove was because it had a jack hole in the side and I could see the plys.

Hey, it ain't gonna crack!

There was on even more stripped down in that era called the JG-0. No binding, or maybe top binding, maybe spruce top, maybe mahogany, pin bridge, pinless, adjustable, leftover bridges... "what have we got on the shelf we can make a guitar out of?"

Kinda awesome when you think about it.

Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful! Yeah people that have seen and heard it say it is pretty decent. I think the person who got it for me got a pretty good deal as well, as I have seen others on line for twice as much. I just need to get a refret done and it should be good to go for a while.

Archived