Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone alleykat

Arunas

Hey, does anyone on here have one? How is it in general, its +-. How is the neck compared to the current epiphone lp standards? Could you post some high rez picks? Any suggestions where I could find one in (EU) ? Or does anyone know a similar axe somewhere out there?

The most similar guitar to the AlleyKat is the Epiphone WildKat, which is identical except for the pickups(P-90's instead of the AlleyKat's mini-humbucker at the neck and full-size 'bucker at the bridge. The neck is a bit wider and flatter than the LP standards I've played. It's a well-made guitar.

Here's a demo that will give you a sense of what it sounds like --- at least in the hands of this player.

I had a cherry sunburst Alleykat for about a year os so. Got it off eBay. I traded it around 2008.

It was an okay guitar with quality comparable to Korean-made Epi Les Pauls from the same era. I did have to replace the pu selector switch, but that was an easy job.

The neck mini-humbucker was okay and I seldom played with the bridge full-sized humbucker. The AlleyKat was marketed as a jazz version of the Kat series. While it did sound a bit jazzier than a WildKat, it really was a poor substitute for a hollow bodied jazz box. The neck of an AlleyKat feels identical to a WildKat neck.

I enjoyed the guitar for a while, but I do not regret parting with it. It was not a good rock, blues or jazz guitar. It simply fell a little short for each genre. I guess that is why Epi dropped it.

YMMV

Archived