Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo experts needed

ccravens

Hello all,

I have a new '36 Kalamazoo KG-11 that I have not been able to put down for days now. I love the sound and it's so different that any guitar I've ever had because it's a Gibson and it's ladder-braced.

Pictures here: My link

I now have my eye on a 12-fret KG-14, and my main question is whether the sound would be very different from my 11.

I guess I really don't know the difference between the 11s and the 14s, although I do have some idea about the difference between 12 and 14 fret guitars.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

[smile]

You should check in on Curtis Allen's post a page back:

Link

A KG-11 was in front of me (tape measure in pocket) at the Fall Philly show hours before I saw his post asking for some measurements on the KG-11.

'Always curious if the large lower bout on the '11 would bring more bass, or, although never heard of it being done, what an x-braced conversion would sound like.

Edit: ... And I hope/trust you've seen how Bob Halperin for Vintage Licks Guitars can really shiver the timbers on many an old guitar, shown here administering a good spanking to this old KG-11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvmW4UxUKrM

Hello all,

I have a new '36 Kalamazoo KG-11 that I have not been able to put down for days now. I love the sound and it's so different that any guitar I've ever had because it's a Gibson and it's ladder-braced.

Pictures here: My link

I now have my eye on a 12-fret KG-14, and my main question is whether the sound would be very different from my 11.

I guess I really don't know the difference between the 11s and the 14s, although I do have some idea about the difference between 12 and 14 fret guitars.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

[smile]

May be worth posting on the AGF, John Thomas who was behind the Kalamazoo Girls book and programme, posts on there. Nice guitar and good luck.

Archived