Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Shipping soon!

captainrico

Just to let you all know that I had an email from Gibson Customer service stating that they are about to ship the RIP units.

Strangley they needed my phone number before they could ship it.

Now I'll be sat waiting for the postman every day!

I'm sure it won't be long before we start getting posts here saying that they have arrived.

Rico

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to let you all know that I had an email from Gibson Customer service stating that they are about to ship the RIP units.

Strangley they needed my phone number before they could ship it.

Now I'll be sat waiting for the postman every day!

I'm sure it won't be long before we start getting posts here saying that they have arrived.

Rico

Wow! Lucky you!!! Isn't it bizarre that of all places, an international location gets the first email... Makes me wonder if they are getting the RIP contract-manufactured in Singapore. Quite possible... Anyways, speculations aside, I think yours is also the first internationally delivered-through a dealer Dark Fire. From what I can see none of the other international orders have been delivered yet.

PS. I think they need your phone # because they need to put it on the shipment docs in case someone needs to contact you.

I do appear to have been very lucky. I spoke to my dealer yesterday in Singapore (who covers Malaysia and Indonesia too) and he informed me that my Dark Fire was the only one that he had.

At least he didn't have it sitting around on his shelves. I picked it up a couple of hours after fedex had dropped it off.

Let's hope my luck runs to getting my hands on the RIP box soon.

Rico

I would follow the instructions on the RIP sheet

the one that says "STOP"

It clearly states to download the latest software prior to connecting RIP or inserting the "stale" DVD included

Determine your OS

MAC, VISTA or WinXP

and follow the appropriate Install doc.

Be sure you install latest RIP Firmware and the latest Docs here - BEFORE CONNECTING THE RIP:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/DarkFire/Software.aspx

Dell Desktop?

Order one of these:

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-400012-S8

Dell Notebook?

Order one of these:

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-PCM312-S2

You want a TI chipset for Firewire - they work the best.

Avoid NEC chipsets,

Although if you have a 5 year old PC - you may find out very soon that you will need a new Intel Core 2 Duo based computer and 4GB RAM - for minimum latency and to run 6 instances of Guitar Rig with the RIP

If you you want 1st class - get a Macbook Pro

I got a refurb one direct from Apple for $1700

For a low cost rig - look at an HP M9100 - Q6600 based mini tower - I got a refurb one from Newegg for $600

Archived