Gibson Brands Forums

need a strat. educate me!

Guest Farnsbarns

Don't really agree with your points here. Fender does not really use lacquer on most of its guitars it's poly. The guitars still need a stain and top coating in clear. The runs are typically limited and in some cases specialty woods (for Fender). The prices are usually a little less or equal for these guitars. The cost savings of an extra top coat would be nothing for Fender, so... Certainly not a 1/3 less.

I don't want to argue, but good conversation is important. I own a company that makes custom knives and have to constantly meet customers' demands for handle material etc...I am constantly sourcing out woods. I can tell you uniquivically that woods that are native to the US...Maple, Pine, Basswood, Poplar, Mohagany is Much, much MUCH less expensive than "tone-woods" that are sourced from the rainforest or whatever, where their are ceasless regulations on Rosewood, Ebony, Cocobola, etc... The cost difference to the manufacturer is 100's of percents higher.

Also, the finish department is the the place the guitar spends the longest time in all assembly and building once the build is commenced. A "stained finish" requires no grain filler guy. No time with paint guy, No time with Nitrocellelous guy, and no time in-between these building cycles that halt the production process, and slow down the product and the amount of man-hours paid to said craftsmen and women. Especially in the US, but anywhere there is a relative cost derivative by skipping these steps in production, perhaps 5 hours labor and 8 days in finishing, you tell me how much they are saving. A guitar is just wood and electronics regardless. HOw much of the guitar is the finish process in the entire scheme. It is HUGE.

That's the truth, whether it sits well with you or not.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived