Gibson Brands Forums

2012 pickup selector switch

SteveT2

Mechanically

In the past I had to deal with rattling toggle switches of either straight and angled builds. I always got it sorted using contact cleaner that also seems to help damping vibrations, and most important varying the mounting position a tad. All of them were quiet in the end.

I never replaced a toggle switch. The oldest one in my 1978 S-G Standard once called for a contact cleaning years ago. I carefully pulled coffee filter cut into strips and soaked with contact cleaner through the closed contact latches. Works since years after that.

Finally I now always leave the switches in the middle position when not playing. This seems to prevent contact fatigue as well as corrosion and collecting dust.

Hope this helps.

In the past I had to deal with rattling toggle switches of either straight and angled builds. I always got it sorted using contact cleaner that also seems to help damping vibrations, and most important varying the mounting position a tad. All of them were quiet in the end.

I never replaced a toggle switch. The oldest one in my 1978 S-G Standard once called for a contact cleaning years ago. I carefully pulled coffee filter cut into strips and soaked with contact cleaner through the closed contact latches. Works since years after that.

Finally I now always leave the switches in the middle position when not playing. This seems to prevent contact fatigue as well as corrosion and collecting dust.

Hope this helps.

Now I remember what the other thing I was going to look for in Loews...Deoxit

Archived