Gibson Brands Forums

Clutch in tuning heads?

MCK

My D started acting up again. The symptom is lots of thrashing about when a tuning is requested. It goes back & forth and can't seem to decide. Then it tries to tension more & more and eventually it hits a spot where the tuning knob doesn't turn anymore and a loud whine is heard. There seems to be a friction based clutch mechanism built in there. In order to save the motor and the gearbox I think the clutch slips when tension reaches a certain level. I understand the new firmware also has a capability to detect this and stop the motor but it might be too late for my poor D tuning head...

I think the more the clutch slips the earlier the slippage tends to occur. It might be my imagination but now my D tuning head seems to barely manage to get the D string to standard tune. I think I'm in trouble! The funny thing is that these tuning heads are drop in parts. I wish I didn't have to RMA the whole thing and could simply exchange tuning heads with Gibson. Oh well. Lets see what Gibson Japan says on Monday.

Cheers everyone. Have a good weekend.

KS

Archived