Gibson Brands Forums

Hi

jambop

Hello

I am new to the forum and want to say a hi to all. I have a Sheraton II which was made in Korea in 2005 (UnSung). I bought the guitar about five years back and played it for a while but for the last four years I have not been playing much at all. Anyway I had bought some nice new modifying parts for it and they were un fitted but I am now taking more interest again and am about to upgrade the guitar. I have a new set of pups and a tone/volume wiring kit to fit. The pick ups are made in the UK and are Iron Gear Blues Engine. The new pots/wiring kit I imported from the US and it is made by Mojotone and is a vintage type wiring setup. I don't really know if the upgrades will make that much difference. I only play through a small Roland Cube 30X amp but I had been told that the pups and pots were the weak part of the guitar, anyway fitting these parts ...at last will rekindle my guitar playing. I love the sounds I hear of people playing the Sheraton on youtube sound checks so I will no doubt be back here again asking for tips on how to create that nice bluesy sound these guys are getting out of their kit... assuming of course that this is possible with a small solid state amp such as the one I have :)

Hi jambop. Welcome.

Never tried a Sheraton so I must give one a go. hesitant to do so as I could end up owning it and the space for guitars in my place is getting limited.

I wouldn't be dismissive of the Roland 30X. I have a Roland Cube 40XL (the model with the looper) and it can punch out a pretty good sound. For what it is, it's an OK amp.

As always the company selling the gear make it look not too difficult :) The wiring harness is all ready prepared but I will have to enlarge the holes to take the new pots some care required there methinks! Should be interesting but I have heard that it is all worth the effort.

When you say "enlarge the holes," do you mean the pickup routs or the f-holes? The pickup routs only have a little extra room available without becoming too large for the pickup surrounds to mount properly. If you mess with the f-holes, you will pretty much kill any resale value of the guitar, should you ever want to sell it.

Archived