Gibson Brands Forums

PHOTOS...'Gibson J-180' And Steinegger 'Ike Everly Custom'!

Billy C.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if Robert Steinegger is currently producing guitars ???

...He hasn't been responding to attempts to contact him via phone for quite some time. Just hoping that he is in good health.

• 2 years later...

Hello!

I haven't posted here in awhile but having read several more recent posts by members who had mentioned Gibson's J-180 as well as the limited edition Steinegger Ike Everly guitars... thought I'd provide once again the information and photos in this post (originally dating to March 2016) for those diehard J-180 fans with interest, who might have originally missed it as originally posted...and still relevant. As always, am pleased to provide what information I have garnered over the years on these instruments and respond to questions posed by other forum members, regarding the J-180 series guitars in their various 'configurations and series issues over the years.

...Your shared interest in these unique, striking guitars being much appreciated!

Billy C.

Hello!

I haven't posted here in awhile but having read several more recent posts by members who had mentioned Gibson's J-180 as well as the limited edition Steinegger Ike Everly guitars... thought I'd provide once again the information and photos in this post (originally dating to March 2016) for those diehard J-180 fans with interest, who might have originally missed it as originally posted...and still relevant. As always, am pleased to provide what information I have garnered over the years on these instruments and respond to questions posed by other forum members, regarding the J-180 series guitars in their various 'configurations and series issues over the years.

...Your shared interest in these unique, striking guitars being much appreciated!

Billy C.

Great thread, Billy! Super interesting info, thankyou...I have a 2014 Custom Shop J180 Ltd which is a bit of an oddball-not an Everly per se as it’s cosmetically different (it’s cherry red, with split parallelogram inlays and not a star to be seen) but it has the Everly tone in spades. Such a balanced and direct guitar, absolutely wonderful to sing with. Excels at rhythm as is to be expected, but is also a capable fingerstyle instrument for rags and similar that require a punchy thump with relatively quick note decay.

Love it! Looks terrific as a stage guitar too.

Great thread, Billy! Super interesting info, thankyou...I have a 2014 Custom Shop J180 Ltd which is a bit of an oddball-not an Everly per se as it’s cosmetically different (it’s cherry red, with split parallelogram inlays and not a star to be seen) but it has the Everly tone in spades. Such a balanced and direct guitar, absolutely wonderful to sing with. Excels at rhythm as is to be expected, but is also a capable fingerstyle instrument for rags and similar that require a punchy thump with relatively quick note decay.

Love it! Looks terrific as a stage guitar too.

Hi, Jinder!

Nice finish on your new Gibson and congratulations! You will enjoy your new J-180 and especially if you sing and play...it is what they were designed to do and they do best! Folks who over the years have leveled criticism at the J-180 and Everly models for 'lack of voice', 'weak acoustic projection' or for 'lack of sustain', etc. are comparing apples and oranges. Forgive their misgivings, concerning the J-180 family because they've misconstrued the function for which the Everly series was built. Supporting vocals without grossly overpowering them! The J-180 guitars built after the late 1980s do possess increased resonance and somewhat more substantial voicing than the earlier models due to several modifications applied at the Bozeman facility to these models at that time and following.

Anyway, cherry trees open up and bloom in the Spring and so will your new cherry J-180...just play it and often!

Hi, Jinder!

Nice finish on your new Gibson and congratulations! You will enjoy your new J-180 and especially if you sing and play...it is what they were designed to do and they do best! Folks who over the years have leveled criticism at the J-180 and Everly models for 'lack of voice', 'weak acoustic projection' or for 'lack of sustain', etc. are comparing apples and oranges. Forgive their misgivings, concerning the J-180 family because they've misconstrued the function for which the Everly series was built. Supporting vocals without grossly overpowering them! The J-180 guitars built after the late 1980s do possess increased resonance and somewhat more substantial voicing than the earlier models due to several modifications applied at the Bozeman facility to these models at that time and following.

Anyway, cherry trees open up and bloom in the Spring and so will your new cherry J-180...just play it and often!

Thanks Billy! I’m playing it all the time and it sounds better and better every time I pick it up. Great guitar!

Archived