Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup for my 1970 J-50

RANEYM305

I am having trouble deciding on what kind of pickup I should get for my 1970 J-50.

I am leary about installig a pickup that will require drilling or any other altering of the body of my guitar; not because I am concerned about decreasing the value of my guitar, but I do not want to compromise the tone of it while it is unplugged.

...BUT, I do plan on gigging alot with this guitar, and one of thoseremovable sound-hole pickups with a 10 ft. cable seems unreasonable for the size of shows I play.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Check out the K & K mini Western pickup. No battery necessary and a pretty easy install for a luthier. Yes you will need to run the plug into the rear strap area but it will have no affect on the tone. They do have a "Vintage" colored endpin for the plug too I believe, but I just have a regular one on mine. I have one in my Gibson AJ and love it. It has enough power to run on it's own, but if your gigging with it, add something like a LR Baggs PARA DI which gives you an active line then to run into a PA system or your acoustic amp.

All installed for under $150 (at my local guys shop) and clear, acoustic tone with no "quack" is a deal in my opinion. I am not the only believer... it is probably the most recommended pickup at the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I have actually heard of people using the K & K together with the Baggs M1 for a "Dual source" sound. I can only imagine that it would be even better than either alone but have never tried it personally. I would assume you could wire the M1 up to the K & K into the same endpin but I am just guessing at that.

The M1 will look like a bar across the soundhole which I am somewhat opposed to. That's another reason I love the K & K... you would not know I had a pickup in until I plugged in.

I don't often post in "what pickup for acoustic guitar" threads but I'll offer this: I have a "Pickup the World" in a '52 J-45 (a beater) and it is the best sounding acoustic pup I've tried (others inc. old Martin Thinlines & similar piezo-under-the-saddle types). It mounts not under the saddle but to the soundboard and can be moved during testing to get the acoustic tone you want. I prefer that to a saddle mount because it leaves your bridge alone, though you still need an endpin jack. I run it into a LR Baggs Paracoustic DI box (highly recommended anyway) and get a great acoustic tone. It is, to me, the only pup I've tried that really sounds like a flattop when boosted into a PA or acoustic amp. I've let others play it on stage while I sat out a few songs and was amazed how good it sounded. I also record with it to good effect.

My son also uses one and we may be the only two people in the world that do. That said, I haven't tried the K&K and others because I'm happy with this one. Just FYI. And whatever ya do, the LR Baggs box is a nice add.

Archived