Gibson Brands Forums

Unable to Update Dark Fire Firmware

Eric1811

Has anyone had the following issue? After doing all installs, I attempted to update the DF firmware and got the following message:

"Gibson RIP

Unable to Initialize the guitar"

Other than this issue, the software works fine on my MBP, 2.16 Core Cuo with 2g ram. Haven't ran it through my power amp yet, and sounds a bit flat through the headphones. I'm looking forward to cranking it up though!

See my post on the topic. Bottomline do a Function 109 full reset on your DF and I bet you'll be ok. Good luck!

PS... Do you have the #1811? I think that makes you the owner of the highest serial unit seen around here. Please put your name down on the registry if you are ok with it! Thanks!!!

Got it, did the 109 reset and it worked - thanks. Still playing around with the features and the programs, lots to learn and play with. still not sold on tone without my Marshall/Mesa Boogie preamp/amp set up, but it is what it is.

I have serial 400, so not quite that high...

Hi Eric, glad this worked out for you as well. I would suggest Gibson to include this simple instruction in the next update of the installation manual. Simple enough yet could save hours for other owners who may not be reading this forum. Anyways, GR3 is what it is as you say. I am impressed with it on the technology front but also feel I could be spending more time from now on fiddling with it rather than play and enjoy playing. I want to limit my use... I feel like an old fart already. I bet my kids will love it. Me, I just love the tube tone. I ordered a Little Lanilei 1/4 Watt just now as a matter of fact. Lots of promise for its size. We'll see.

PS. I should also add... I spent some days in the hospital last summer with a slipped disk... I see myself using the peewee size tube amp or the GR3 rig with PAs that happen to be in the house where I visit from now on. No more lugging around the heavy cabs or combos... No sir. Pain from a slipped disc is horrible.

Keep well.

Thanks MCK,

I have now invested a significant amount of time in GR3 and the whole software interface and I can say that I have reached levels of frustration that I have never experienced with guitar playing before. I have come to the conclusion that there is a steep learning curve and I hope to explore all of the possibilities over time.

All said, the thing that really sold me on keeping my DK is the tone - without all the software and computer interface. I just plugged it in to my amp, played with the settings and loved the tone that came out. I A/B'd it with other guitars, which was even more convincing.

Have you had luck using GR3? I am having issues with getting a decent sounds out of my studio monitors. I am also having issues with using it as a plug in with Logic - it works but I am getting a lot of noise and degraded tone.

I guess I'll just keep messing with it though.

Have you had luck using GR3? I am having issues with getting a decent sounds out of my studio monitors. I am also having issues with using it as a plug in with Logic - it works but I am getting a lot of noise and degraded tone.

I found that the learn button, on the output panel, is very useful for balancing the IO levels in GR3. And with these correct, you can get great sounds indeed. I was experimenting with several GR3 channels and was happy with that, and then with DF even just one channel already sounded great!

But tough factory sounds are OK, I am mostly using 3rd party patches that I downloaded separately, and some of my own stuff of course.

Thanks MCK' date='

I have now invested a significant amount of time in GR3 and the whole software interface and I can say that I have reached levels of frustration that I have never experienced with guitar playing before. I have come to the conclusion that there is a steep learning curve and I hope to explore all of the possibilities over time.

All said, the thing that really sold me on keeping my DK is the tone - without all the software and computer interface. I just plugged it in to my amp, played with the settings and loved the tone that came out. I A/B'd it with other guitars, which was even more convincing.

I guess I'll just keep messing with it though.

[/quote']

Hi Eric, you're absolutely right. The tone is great as it is and I even love playing it with no amp.

Actually I drive my wife half insane playing my DF all the time while we sit down to watch a movie or something on the TV... Playing it through my low-watts tube amp, playing sweet bluesy tones while everyone is asleep is what I tend to do most of the time.

GR3 is a long term project for me to learn and make use of. I feel similar to how my grandpa (RIP) used to look at the ATMs and shake his head from side to side at the sight of money coming out on demand... Similarly I am bewildered but also a little suspicious. It will take some time to pass. Meanwhile its all fun & no pressure for me. Beauty of having a non-musical day job which sucks as it is so I come home to my family & DF to decompress + relax.

Keep well & enjoy your journey! Regards,

KS

Archived