Gibson Brands Forums

Does this look ok?

Ste1566

Hi Guys,

Just looking for any opinions on this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Left-Handed-Gibson-SJ200-Electro-Acoustic-guitar_W0QQitemZ120372120229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item120372120229&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'd really like a SJ-200 in sunburst but being a lefty can't be too picking. Currently got a J45 I see the wood looks mismatched on this one?

Cheers Steve

isn't this what Pete Townsend plays? I know this isn't the "Pete Townsend" signature, but it's the same model...

I wouldn't say the wood is mismatched, if it was I'm not sure it would have made it out of the factory, could be the way the flash hit it?

This guitar right handed is selling for $3500 through several online stores here in the US, can't calculate what that translates into for Pounds, maybe 1700?

I guess the bottom line for you would be - have you ever played a SJ-200? the sound will be different given the size and maple sides and back. it might be the sweetest thing you've ever heard, it's just for that kind of coin, I'm sure you'd want to hear yourself play it first....

best of luck, let us know how this goes, nothing as exciting as bringing a new baby home.

Thanks for the reply, I've never played an SJ-200 but being left handed the chances to try out these things just don't happen. I'd much rather try out first of course, but when I got my J45 that was bought blind so to speak! There is a premium for left handed guitars. I just thought they usually used a wood matching as close as possible where the 2 meet in the middle. I don't think it's the flash tbh. I would love to try it out first. It's just not really practical :-({|=

I just noticed something looking at the wood on the soundboard

in the first picture - it's upright, and the wood on the top of the guitar is darker (opposite the pickguard). In the picture of the guitar in the case, the wood on the bottom looks darker (with the pickguard)... this leads me to believe that perhaps is does have to do with lighting? I think there is a defined break from one piece to the other, but perhaps the contrast isn't what it appears in the pic?

not sure, the one way to tell is to see it in person, but i just wanted to pass along this observation... .

I think the term for the lighter/darker look is "Run out". It is normal and usually can only be seen in certain lighting situations. I have seen that on guitar tops of $10,000 + guitars so I don't think it would ever be anything to worry about. It has more to do with the way the top was cut and the positioning of the lighting in the photo. You probably would not notice anything if you were sitting in front of the guitar looking at it unless you got in exactly the right light and angle.

Looks like a nice guitar (other than it is backward!) :-({|=

Wood is composed of features called xylem and phloem. You probably heard about these is 8th grade science class. These structures are hollow tubes like straws all bundled up in perfectly parallel order. When a slab of spruce is split to make a top, it is cut from a 1/4" slab. . The cut is made like sliceing two pieces of bread. The two 1/8" slabs are laid down butt to butt. The butts are glued together. This process is called bookmatching. The straws are severed as if cutting into a beef log. Visualize that you are looking into the end of the cut ends of the straws.

The xylem and phloem are like straws penetrating through the guit tar top. Sometimes the straws go though the wood perpendicular to the surface. The direction of these straws on both sides of the glue line (book match line) is substatially the same. In this case the way the light hits the top reflects in substatially the same manner making the two sides appear substantially the same.

Sometimes the straws are not quite perpendicular to the sound board. Let's say the straws move downward and to the right on the 1/4" slab. When it is split and the two halves are laid down, butt to butt, the straws are now reversed. One one side the straws are down and to the right, the other down and to the left. This causes the light to hit these structures and reflect differently. This causes the shading to look different. Especially of the light source is coming from the side (or the top if the guit tar is laying on it's side on the floor). By moving the light source from right to left on a guitar propped in a stand the light / dark will shift from one side to the other. When the light source is directly above or below the shading may appear identical. Pick the guit tar up by the neck then raise the body above the neck, like holding a popscle, you get the same effect.

This is normal and not considered a flaw. High quality guit tars are made from natural woods, they are not perfectly plastic.

When these structures become jumbled up and not parallel to each other. The straws are going through the wood every which way. This is caused by the natural process of tree growth. This effect is called quilting, silking and bear claw. These anomalies are not discernable until a tree is cut and quartered.

Notice the back and sides on this ebay offering. The back is book matched as well, albeit with a pefling inbetween. The dark 'stripes' match up with another stripe of similar shape, but are light. This is one way of telling the difference between real and faux flame.

Ste...

If it is in Portsmouth, then it's maybe 15 miles from my place. The problem is, I'm a righty, but if you are REALLY keen, you could maybe arrange a meet with the seller where I can at least go and take a look first hand? Up to you, just an idea... There is a Lefty nearby too I maybe able to drag along...... Not the same as trying it yourself though, I agree!

Hey guys, thanks so much for the indepth explanation. I didn't expect it to be a major flaw although i'd never seen it so guess its just the reflection, and probably a fine guitar. Thanks for the offer of checking it out I only saw it today so not sure how serious I am. If it was sunburst...I've got the money but really should spend it on more important. In fact I need to get my J45 to a luthier the actions a bit low :- I'll have a think! Thanks again everyone this is a great place!

Archived