Gibson Brands Forums

hex signal

simont

I do see some crosstalk

about -45db

Its to be expected with 6 piezo saddles mounted on one common T.O.M bridge base

and its totally dependent on your string attack technique.

Pete Townsend style wind-me-up windmill strums with yield -30db crosstalk

Thanks Steve.I was just curious as there was talk of much improved signal strength. Probably more relevant if/when we get our little cable :-

I spoke with Ableton today BTW. The Gibson product description is once again inaccurate.

We do not have 64 audio tracks and unlimited midi tracks. We have a total of 16 Audio and/or MIDI Tracks and very limited Effects.

Heres what we get in this version...

"Max number of Audio and/or MIDI Tracks per Project: 16

Max number of Live Audio Effects per project: 4

Max number of Live MIDI Effects per project: 4

Max number of Instrument Plug-in Instances (VST or AU) per Project: 2

Max number of Audio Effect Plug-in Instances (VST or AU) per Project: 6

Max number of Sends/Return Tracks per Project: 1

Max number of Mono Audio Ins that can be used: 8

Max number of Mono Audio Outs that can be used: 2

Max number of Session View Scenes per Project: 4 "

I foresee a lot of "track freezing" till we upgrade. Suits the weather here anyway :)

I am awaiting accurate Live 7/8 upgrade pricing options which I will post.

At this stage I couldn't be bothered making an issue of it, but thats 3 inaccurcies now which Gibson might want to edit off the Dark Fire product pages. #-o

Well thats 3 inaccuracies now which Gibson might want to edit( on the Dark Fire Web Page)

Only three?

I count over 14 - lets count:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx

1) the Gibson Dark Fire gives you an infinite number of tonal possibilities

But its missing a Clapton Strat tone, SRV Middle PU tone, ZZ Top Neck + Middle PU Tone, etc.

2) Both PUs are capped with new carbon fiber-like pickup covers,

Plastic Neck PU cover and metal Bridge PU cover - with photolithograph paint

3) This new (P90H) pickup offers all of the soulful, classic tone of Gibson’s legendary P-90 singlecoil pickup, but with none of the 60-cycle hum that usually plagues traditional singlecoil pickups.

Due to a firmware bug, the Dark Fire's P90H neck PU actually hums along nicely - it sounds just like a real P90 single coil, but a stuck relay renders the anti hum coil left out of the circuit. Even today this bug remains.

4) These piezo pickups go through a studio-quality active amplifier that allows for a stronger and more natural acoustic guitar sound.

But with only -58dB of SNR - it has all the hiss of an old cassette deck with the Dolby NR turned off.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx

5) The mahogany back and neck of the Dark Fire are given a satin finish,

Its more of a Les Paul Studio Worn Brown finish, with antique stain and all the grain showing.

6) and a super fast and comfortable asymmetrical neck profile design with Gibson's PerfectSetup™, which is made possible by the revolutionary computer-controlled PLEK system, acknowledged as the most precise guitar set-up technology in the industry.

But with most examples having a few sharp fret edges for slicing and dicing

7) the sonic capabilities of a fully digital guitar make the new Dark Fire a virtual upgrade in every respect.

Define digital? - Unlike the HD.6X Pro, the Dark Fire is analog Multiplexed Out, and an active filter parametric EQ (not user adjustable), and Mag coil selection relays (with several important configurations still NOT user accessible )

But I think this is a selling point - If I wanted All Digital - i would by a Variax, (which i have ) - For Les Paul and Tele Tones the Dark Fire is superior.

8) Perhaps most impressive is Gibson's new Chameleon Tone Technology, which allows you to change your guitar's tone to match countless environments and to recreate any guitar sound you ever lusted after.

Actually we get to choose from the short list of 8 preset coil / EQ options Tronical gave us. Its understandable due to Pickup placement physics, Dark Fire will not reproduce SRV Middle PU Strat, Clapton Knoffler Bridge+Middle Strat, DiPinto Galaxie IV Los StraitJackets Surf tones, etc, etc,

9) As an added plus, you can also play the Dark Fire while the battery system is being charged.

With incredibly loud 50/60HZ Hum - no extra charge.

10) And that’s not all: Another special output is compatible with guitar-to-MIDI converters from companies such as Axon and Roland, turning Dark Fire into an exceptional MIDI guitar.

I would not call the RIP's 8 pin miniDIN HEX Out compatible with anything yet - and the optional RIP to 13pin cable is still not available.

11) ON the MCK, LED-lit symbols now adorn its outer edge, which blend with the color of the knob so that they're only visible when lit.

I see all MCK indicators - even the unlit ones in low light situations - I must be eating my carrots.

12) The Dark Fire's new MCK also controls the ability to change pickups and coils, allowing you the ability to adjust tone and tunings automatically and simultaneously, even several times during the same song.

- and you will get pops and noise anomalies anytime you lift the MCK in and out to make changes on the fly.

13) You can now access any preset tuning in less than one second, which means you can realistically change tunings in the middle of a song,

Provided you are "ok"with pops and noise anomalies anytime you lift the MCK in and out to make changes on the fly.

14) The Dark Fire's tone potentiometer and CPA have also been redesigned so that turning the tone knob allows a very intuitive and significant change in tone, thus giving you even more ability to dial in your desired tone. This pioneering Gibson circuitry is studio quality with very little noise and/or signal loss, which delivers as much of the guitar's authentic tone as possible.

It does pop and snap with each up and down move of the MCK, and if played while charging it hums, and the piezo preamp has rather poor Signal to noise ratio, Still no one can answer what is "CPA" ?

I do see they recently updated the Dark Fire product description on the web site - and removed the following from the Sound page:

15) Combined, the two classic electromagnetic pickups and the piezo bridge pickup are wired in such a way to allow

each individual coil to be used in a switching matrix, giving you over 20 separate combinations of tone and an incredible array of tonal possibilities.

Actually we get to choose from the short list of 8 preset coil / EQ options Tronical gave us

Despite all the false claims above, At the end of the day - The Dark Fire is a great Guitar -but should not have to over burdened with bad karma and marketing hype and false promises which it cant deliver.

Still its my current favorite guitar based on its sustain and tone. I play it live 3 times a week, and its doors for hexaphonic processing open new sonic territory.

I foresee a lot of "track freezing" till we upgrade. Suits the weather here anyway =D>

I am awaiting accurate Live 7/8 upgrade pricing options which I will post.

Simont' date=' I shot a note to Ableton last week and here's the reply from them:

As a registered owner of Live Lite, you will be eligible for discounts on the upgrade to Live 8.

You would have two options:

Two-stop upgrade:

Buy an upgrade from Live Lite to Live 7 now for EUR 249/USD 299 (download), and then when Live 8 is released the upgrade will cost you EUR 49/USD 59 (download) or EUR 79/USD 99 (boxed version). Also, by purchasing Live 7 now -you will get free Operator and Drum Machines.

One-stop upgrade:

If you wait until Live is released the direct upgrade price will be EUR 269/USD 329 (download) or EUR 299/USD 369 (boxed version). The price is cheaper but you do not get the free Operator or Drum Machines.

More information can be found here:

http://www.ableton.com/cantwaitfor8

I hope this answers your question.

Have fun with Live Lite!

Thanks MLB, exactly what I wanted to know.

Have fun with Live Lite!

unfortunatly I have neither A DARK fIRE or Live Lite yet.

I am content for the momment to practice Dark Fire Air Ableton Very Lite with GR3.

I have a user patch but users are not allowed to upload user patches to the user patch sub forum.

Go figure!!

:)

Thanks MLB' date=' exactly what I wanted to know.

unfortunatly I have neither A DARK fIRE or Live Lite yet.

I am content for the momment to practice Dark Fire Air Ableton Very Lite with GR3.

I have a user patch but users are not allowed to upload user patches to the user patch sub forum.

Go figure!!

:)

[/quote']

Well, hopefully ur DF will arrive shortly. As far as the patches, I don't really understand why "users" can't yet upload user patches....weird, eh ? Hopefully, they'll allow us to do that shortly.

Hey, see what you get back for quotes from Ableton to see if we're getting the same numbers ?

Hey' date=' see what you get back for quotes from Ableton to see if we're getting the same numbers ?[/quote']

yeah I got the same pricing options.

Better news is I spoke with Native Instruments today and they confirmed the we have

the FULL version of Guitar Rig 3

=D>

Archived