Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone having these problems?

Jonathan thomas

Just received my dark fire and there are two problems. First the pickups are wired backwards i assume. When the pickup selector up it selects the bridge pickup. When down its the neck position. Also my mck feels terrible! When depressed as the tone knob its nearly impossible to turn. Feels like its grinding with something. Its also very very difficult to pull up to access the tunings/tones. I dont want to break the broken guitar i just went broke for. WTF!?

Sounds similar to mine.

An RMA will fix it

Here's my ***** session pre RMA

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10549

Here's my praise post RMA

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12050

Since you are in NY - figure three week turn around - and it will be perfect upon completion of the repair.

Its natural to feel let down about this situation, but there is a whole lot of new tech inside this guitar, and errors may occur.

Other than that, how does your maple top look?

.... I dont want to break the broken guitar i just went broke for. WTF!?

Jonathan, welcome on board! your remark above has to be the funniest thing I heard all week! Good on you. Keep your spirit up. The outcome will be marvellous!!!

PS. Want to report your serial #? Please refer to the stickied post on the subject. Thanks

Thanks for the info. How do i go about getting an RMA? Also the dealer i purchased my DF from has given me the option of swapping it out when they get the next one in. However, They do not know when that will be. That being said im torn. Get a fresh in box that could be perfect or have the same issue or get the RMA and be without the guitar for 3ish weeks. Lastly i was wondering if this should have came with a COA. Is that included with the rebate package? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Its a tough call but personally I think I would hand on to the one I have and swap it out when the dealer gets a better one. You can always still choose the RMA option if you eventually need it. The cross wired toggle should not affect sound etc so I guess its ok to live with that one. My MCK loosened eventually and does not grind anymore so I suggest you stick to it and enjoy it as much as you can.

Hello again all...been a while since I posted but have been reading. Very busy and had been enjoying my DF until last Saturday eveing leading a practice. As we started I'll pulled my MCK out...not too sticky and tried to strum to tune to standard and nothing happened. Lights on but no one was home :) Assumed that the battery was low so when I got home I tried to plug er in. To no avail I was missing my lovely blue light. Couldn't charge my baby at all :(. I immediately called Gibson thinking that they would send me a new wall port...nope...RMA and on Monday my DF was off to Gibson.

The irony of it all is that I received my RIP on Monday night when I came home from work! lol...and even after it all I would do it all over again. Already missing you DF 0309! Looking forward to it's rebirth!

Rough! Im getting tired of just looking at this beautiful guitar. My Mck is nearly seized at this point. I planned on playing it until my replacement arrived but after a few hours of use the problem is getting worse. I know Gibson will stand behind its product and do whatever is needed to rectify the issue. Thats nice and all but a custom shop or dare i say PRS is starting to look like a way better idea. DF is an amazing idea. Im just getting depressed about it :(

Alright. SO my MCK is seized and will not move at all. Unfortunately when depressed the tone is at zero. Now it is impossible to use the bridge pickup(which is wired as the neck pickup) without wanting to rip my ears off. Dealer says they might know when another could be coming in by the middle of next week. Keywords "might" and "could" be. Looks like an RMA is the only way. F my life. If I the ruled the world gibson would send me a fresh one(where the checklist was accurately performed) and i would send them back my damaged DF in the same shipping box. That would make me happy. Guess i have no choice but to call for the RMA , send it back, wait, wait, pray it gets fixed properly, cross my fingers that it doesnt get tossed around the country by some half-assed UPS degenerates and then be able to enjoy the guitar purchase of my life. Sorry for my negativity. Go out and buy a DF.......

Jonathon,

I'm an owner of an original Robot. I had a lot of problems with the guitar (actually went through three of them before keeping the fourth). I wrote about my story in this post on the Robot forum

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11333

The RMA for my first Robot resulted in a replacement being shipped. The "replacement" was also damaged. I insisted Gibson ship a third guitar (and ultimately a fourth!!!) while I held onto the guitar that I had. It took a lot of pressure. But Gibson relented and did ship replacements while I held onto the one I had.

You mentioned wanting them to ship a fresh DF before you ship your DF back to them. All I can say is that approach worked for me. You should ask. The worst that can happen is they refuse.

Paul

New Providence NJ

Thank you Paul and Steve. Without your responses and good spirits i would have given up already. I will try to hold my head high and speak to Gibson. Once they know my character and love for their products maybe things will go my way. Im sure ill rant on monday. Hopefully its praise rather then *****assness. Who quotes Diddy in a Gibson forum? ha

HA. Just read Pauls entry about his robot. Im sorry you had such a tough time with it. I know Jay Gomel pretty well. We used to work together and are friends. I will agree he is a customer service saint! Guitar center should promote him the highest CS level possible. That guy is no bullshit. He loves everything about great gear and making customers enjoy buying that special guitar. Sounds like a guitar center infomercial but he is not acting(nor am I). Maybe i should call him...Bet id have a new DF tomorrow.

Hey Jonathon

Agree 100% re Jay. He's managing the Springfield NJ GC.

He called me a couple weeks ago to tell me to come in. He had one DF in stock and wanted me to see it. I think I posted about it then. It had all the symptoms we have seen described here from DF owners. Really tight, rough MCK, lot's of popping when you pulled it out/pushed it in. But the guitar itself was beautiful and played great.

My 2 cents

If you find a Dark Fire with a Maple Top you like - buy it.

If you think the MCK is defective send it to Nashville , where it will be repaired and go thru QC twice - to make sure its perfect.

When it gets back from Gibson - use Silicone RTV adhesive to glue the Piezo Blend TIP cap on, get a Glad storage bag and remove the Pick Guard and screws. Put them in the White case that you put away in storage, and get the Gator Brown LP case at Music123 for everyday abuse.

In a month you will have a great guitar with excellent software and incredible versatility.

Thats where I am today

I'm never parting with mine.

PS - Good to hear the GC team on the east coast know how to treat customers - the ones I deal with out here on the west coast are quite the opposite.

I finally took possesion of a Dark Fire - it took me three previous tries as they all had problems - neck pickup didn't work on the first one - second one the toggle switch was bent (really bent) and the third one the toggle switch was slightly bent but the grain and finish on the DF was not quite up to what I had seen on the previous ones.

I did bring home my fourth try from another music store....but it does seem to have the 'classic' MCK problem where it does not seat well after using it and pressing it back in so it will act as the tone control. The MCK has some resistance and will click when it is turned once or twice before it seems to correct itself. This happens about 8 times out of 10 that I use the MCK. I don't want to take the chance that this will cause the MCK to fail in the future. I have read on the forum that a few other owners having the same symptoms with theirs.

I got in touch with Gibson to let them know and they suggested that I RMA it and get if fixed....which I am doing. It goes out this Tuesday....hopefully the turn around will be quick.

The guitar is a great player and very enjoyable to have and to play with a beautiful grain in the wood top - can't wait to get it back!! Just wish the purchasing experience was just as enjoyable.

I would suggest anyone with problems with the MCK do an RMA just to be sure - it is after all what this guitar is all about.

Archived