Gibson Brands Forums

Help trying to pin down model number

rbadon

I have owned this guitar since 1995. I came into possession of this guitar after sending my 94 GM7TA to the factory for a refret job during the time a warehouse move was taking place and it was lost in the process. I was given this one as a replacement.The paperwork for this one I am trying to identify was lost in hurricane Rita in 2005 and now I cant remember exactly the model number thus the reason for posting here.

I am thinking this is a 1995 GM-4S made in Nashville by gibson from the photos you can see that the engraving marks on the underside of the heel is [ 16480 3/ /1995 ] and the serial number stamped on the neck is STEINBERGER USA TN15681.Their is no battery so the pickups are passive with coil-tap,(not sure of pickup brand) the color is WINEBURST

I was toying with the idea of putting it up for sale on ebay, so I need a model number if I decided to do that.Thanks!!!post-80057-074713500 1470755190_thumb.jpg

post-80057-042585300 1470754810_thumb.jpg

post-80057-063888000 1470755204_thumb.jpg

post-80057-021045400 1470755215_thumb.jpg

I have owned this guitar since 1995. I came into possession of this guitar after sending my 94 GM7TA to the factory for a refret job during the time a warehouse move was taking place and it was lost in the process. I was given this one as a replacement.The paperwork for this one I am trying to identify was lost in hurricane Rita in 2005 and now I cant remember exactly the model number thus the reason for posting here.

I am thinking this is a 1995 GM-4S made in Nashville by gibson from the photos you can see that the engraving marks on the underside of the heel is [ 16480 3/ /1995 ] and the serial number stamped on the neck is STEINBERGER USA TN15681.Their is no battery so the pickups are passive with coil-tap,(not sure of pickup brand) the color is WINEBURST

I was toying with the idea of putting it up for sale on ebay, so I need a model number if I decided to do that.Thanks!!!post-80057-074713500 1470755190_thumb.jpg

Yes, this is a GM4S. At that point in time this configuration (S-Trem, passive Gibson pickups) was sold as "GM Standard". The 1994 catalog shows them with Gibson 486 Humbucker and two NSX single coils. The date may be later than 1995, that serial range is a little bit inconsistent. There are entries from 1995 to 1998, but most of them in 1997.

Thank you very much for your reply. I was pretty sure I had the model number correct. I just wanted another experienced pair of eyes to confirm it for me.

The date range may be correct because I originally bought the GM7TA in late 93 not 94 as I stated before and I gigged with it well into early 95 before I sent it off for re fretting, and it was several moths before they determined that it was lost and sent me the replacement GM4S {I had to do lots of complaining to finally get to the bottom of what happened and to actually get a guitar} so I feel safe that the date may be correct. This GM4S sounded nothing like the GM7TA

that they lost . I was really disappointed when I received this guitar but learned to enjoy it for years.

Any idea on what value the current market might put on this guitar?

Any idea on what value the current market might put on this guitar?

Ahhh… that question… ](*,)

It's hard to tell, as there is no homogenous market right now. There are dealers (primarily from USA and Japan) setting ridiculous prices on ebay (and elsewhere). With the result that I see the same instruments sitting there for years and years without getting sold. However, a lot of inexperienced private sellers see those prices and mistake them for something like the "market value". "Oh, my old beat up Steinberger must be worth a fortune". Well, it isn't. It's just a crazy asking price that usually doesn't sell the instrument.

Before that artificial price inflation happened, a regular GM-xT (with a TransTrem) was worth between $2.5 to (a maximum of) $3k. Exceptionally rare versions more, of course. A GM-xS with active EMGs usually sold between $1.5 to 2.3k, those with passive pickups rarely appear in the US. There are a whole lot more e.g. in Italy, where they regularly appear for much lower prices, quite often with a wrong designation (smaller market, doesn't work as well as a global market).

Putting it up on ebay with a low starting price will definitely tell… ;)

thanks for the info! I may just take your suggestion and test the waters on Ebay with a low opening bid and reserve , but then again I may not since I have had her for 25 years...HaHaHA [thumbup]

thks again, and have a great day !!!

Archived