Gibson Brands Forums

Chameleon Avatar Technology

simont

Bored eh???

At least you've got a DF to be bored with. :)

Heres some questions to ease the boredom ......

1.With the Mag volume pots off and Piezo at 100% are there 8 different PEQ's for the piezo signal using the MCK?

2. Using the RIP the 8 channels of multiplexed analog signals are on the ring. whats the tip doing?

Could we tap in another signal?

3.Are there two separate signals on the ring or is the PIEZO Acoustic out a SUM of the hex signal?

4. Does the RIP Firmware update ALWAYS include any Dark Fire Guitar firmware update?

5. In the RIP Console "about" window what do the following stand for:-

1. ARM firmware

2. FPGA

6. Objective- Onboard Piezo volume control

Seeing as we can split the signal with a Y-chord,

how about "tapping into" the TRS CABLE(ring) at the guitar and wiring in some kind of Potentiometer?

thanks

1.With the Mag volume pots off and Piezo at 100% are there 8 different PEQ's for the piezo signal using the MCK?

NO - only choice is PIEZO No PEQ - or PIEZO With PEQ - PEQ is not adjustable. - seems to be stuck on a smily face curve and its rather noisy so I do not use it..

2. Using the RIP the 8 channels of multiplexed analog signals are on the ring. whats the tip doing?

TIP is either Passive Mag PU - or (if PIEZO BLEND is enabled on MCK) a Blend of Mag and PIEZO using the PU select PIEZO BLEND control.

Could we tap in another signal?

Yes - You could use a couple TRS Y-cords as splitters and insert stomp boxes on the TIP signal - and still have Hex Piezo on the RING.

3.Are there two separate signals on the ring or is the PIEZO Acoustic out a SUM of the hex signal?

The TRS RING has many modes.

From the Dark Fire guitar perspective the TRS "Ring" is:

* DC charger Input to guitar

* Mono Piezo Acoustic OUT using a Y cord or Black Box Splitter

* RIP digital IN connection for Guitar Firmware update

* RIP TDM Multiplexed OUT connection where TRS "Ring" carries 8 signals

Its currently 8 channels of multiplexed analog signals:

1) MAG PU

2) Mono Piezo

3) Low E

4) A

5) D

6) G

7) B

8) High E

Since the TRS TIP still has the MAG PU - I suggest they change this to :

1) bidirectional slow speed digital control - for a foot controller

2) Mono Piezo

3) Low E

4) A

5) D

6) G

7) B

8) High E

4. Does the RIP Firmware update ALWAYS include any Dark Fire Guitar firmware update?

No

5. In the RIP Console "about" window what do the following stand for:-

1. ARM firmware

2. FPGA

These are components inside RIP - specifically the Xilinx Spartan XC3S25OE

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/171766/XILINX/XC3S250E.html

which has flash memory for field upgrades for its internal ARM 7 CPU and FPGA I/O mapping

ARM = Advanced RISC Machine (CPU)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

FPGA = Field-Programmable Gate Array

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPGA

IMG_0662.jpg

6. Objective- Onboard Piezo volume control

If sending to a mono amp - Use the PU Select Piezo Blend for onboard Piezo Volume for TRS "Tip" connection

If sending Piezo to a fullrange amp - Use the Black splitter box and insert a volume pedal between Black Splitter box's Acoustic OUT and a PA DI box or fullrange amp.

Seeing as we can split the signal with a Y-chord, how about "tapping into" the TRS CABLE(ring) at the guitar and wiring in some kind of Potentiometer?

For the TRS ring connection its Not possible to simply wire up a Piezo Volume Pot without major surgery due to the Dark Fire's DC Charge circuit, and HEX TDM detection circuit.

Elantric, thank you yet again for your detailed answers. You'll be glad to hear I am giving up my quest to have onboard control the piezo volume in split mode.I consider it a "DIRECT OUT" .

Since the TRS TIP still has the MAG PU - I suggest they change this to :

1) bidirectional slow speed digital control - for a foot controller

2) Mono Piezo

3) Low E

4) A

5) D

6) G

7) B

8) High E

Thats why I was asking and I agree totally on the suggested use of hex input(1).

For me,if we can get to a stage where we can change tunings with a footpedal , without POP/CRAKLE, a whole new world opens up creatively.

I do it with the VG99 but you know the harmonic warble issues there.

Q. Does the RIP Firmware update ALWAYS include any Dark Fire Guitar firmware update?

A. No

Sorry, but not having a DF yet ...blah... blah, where did the Dark Fire Guitar firmware come from.?

Is it ONLY available online? Surely, a download ala RIP 5.0 would be much easier for everyone.

The Dark Fire Guitar update came via the internet.

Anytime the RIP is connected - if an internet connection is present, it automatically "phones home" and checks for available Firmware Update for RIP and / or the Guitar.

I see a swift splash screen on my Macbook Pro anytime I connect or disconnect the RIP - indicating it is checking for updated firmware from some server - I suspect its contacting Echo Audio.

Look for more Dark Fire compatible accessories later this year

Because the Tronical firmware changes too frequently

and the Posted RIP 5.0 update is for Manual install only

During my RIP install, the RIP update was automatically obtained via my internet connection.

Its only been 4 days since I installed my RIP - I expect sometime within the next 10 days to connect my Dark Fire to the RIP and be prompted for a fresh update.

Its rather like any other recent computer gear

Think Line6 Monkey

Gibson plans a series of online video tutorials produced by Craig Anderton - but Dark Fire MCK procedures will change with soon to be released firmware . Tronical is creating an "easy" mode - which requires less fiddly "safe cracking" techniques to get the most out of the MCK.

Because the Tronical firmware changes too frequently

and the Posted RIP 5.0 update is for Manual install only

During my RIP install' date=' the RIP update was automatically obtained via my internet connection.

Its only been 4 days since I installed my RIP - I expect sometime within the next 10 days to connect my Dark Fire to the RIP and be prompted for a fresh update.

Its rather like any other recent computer gear

Think Line6 Monkey

[/quote']

Update freqency should not be an issue in this day and age. I would like to choose when and what I update like any other audio app or pro gear I have.What about firmware bugs? wheres the roll back.?

I guess I'll never get my head around the way these people do business! Unique for sure, but professional ...uuum:-s

thanks anyway Steve for humoring me.

Still bored?

he he!!. i did. that'd be the one with the wrong file name. ;)

No - that was the Applications Quick Start - they fixed that link name 2 days ago.

You go here and hover your curser

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/DarkFire/Software.aspx

or go here:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=154568𥯈

Archived