Gibson Brands Forums

DADGAD ok?

MCK

Before the firmware update my DF knew how to tune DADGAD. I just realized that now its tuning to something else when I choose A in blue bank and tune. Its more or less eadgbd# . Can someone with the updated DF firmware check for me and see if their DADGAD is ok? Thanks.

Ok. Another Function #109 reset and we're back in good shape. I think I must have somehow stored an Alternate tuning in the A slot on blue bank while the guitar was out of tune. Factory reset set me back in good shape. Sorry for the false alarm.

At my Gigs - so far the only thing I use MCK for is to go between standard tuning and DADGAD

Live at the gig the MCK can be a mine field of pain until I get more familiar with all the functions - i do carry my other Les Paul ( see my avator) as a backup. My biggest fear is in between sets some jerk might play with the MCK, rewrite a few presets, and then I'm stuck with out breaking out the Owners Manual to do a reset.

My rewired '72 LP actually has far more versatile tones - as I have essentially the Jimmy Page wiring - but done stealth using old Yamaha SG2000 "push -push pots for all 4 knobs

Series parallel for each PU

coil spitter

phase reverse

independent coil selection

and I can kick on a 250pf cap on the vol control - to retain highs when I roll the volume down - like a vintage tele

I use the middle coil on bridge PU and roll the vol to 7 with the 250pf cap engaged and a floor compressor and it sounds like Dire Straits or Clapton Strat

When I saw the early Dark Fire press release that they were giving us independent coil selection - I thought "gee Gibson finally understands the beauty of this tone variety on tap"

Sadly they let me down and this Dark Fire feature seems to have been dropped at the last minute - hence the recent purge / rewrite of the old Dark Fire Tech Web page spec

At this point - I doubt the Tronical "Configuration Tool" (required to gain access to the Coils and PEG settings) will ever leave the R&D lab at Tronical. So instead of "Chameleon Infinite tone selection, we are left with an 8 tone sound palette of what god and Chris Adams thinks is best.

Lets hope for the best. I think the individual coil selection makes a whole lot of sense but I'm afraid Tronical may want to keep the interface simple for majority of guitar players who are not also EEs... So in time we might hope for a dumbed down UI version of firmware and a balls to the walls version... One can only hope. Regarding the config tool... I wish they would simply give us the raw text to DF tool and let us handle the UI on top of it. This doesn't need to be as tough as its implied to be.

Archived