Gibson Brands Forums

Is the GR3 tuner accurate?

MCK

I am checking the DF3 Instantly Activated standard tuning against the GR3 Tuner and I'm finding that its DF is flat. All other tunings are also flat according to GR3. I checked and verified GR3 reference is 440 and so is DF since I just factory resetted it so somehow one of these guys is not accurate. Which one should I believe? Thanks

I noticed the same thing - It showed the Dark Fire was about a half step flat - have not had time to debug

Id contact NI tech support for an answer -I feel its their problem.

Great! For once it appears I'm not causing my own trouble here... So you were able to check DF tuning against a trusted tuner and find that the Instantly Activated tuning is a good honest EADGBE to the reference of A440?

Thanks for confirming.

Good idea. Why didn't I think of that! I do have the guitar toolkit on my iphone and checked the DF tuning against it. Well, it appears DF is in tune and GR3 is the one that is out of tune. That is according to Guitar Toolkit on iPhone which I suppose is not an immensely accurate judgment but nevertheless is still a data point. Anyone with a known, trusted tuner to set this one to rest?

Ok. Posted about this on NI Forum and heard from another user that they too have seen such inaccuracies. I opened a bug report. Will let you all know if & when I hear from NI on this. Meanwhile trust your DF more than the GR3 when it comes to tuning!!!

Ok. Issue resolved thru workaround. My buffer size was set at 256 samples and this was giving me a latency of about 17ms which I was ok with... Turns out the Tuner in GR3 needs some more CPU juice so when I was running at that rate it somehow was misreading the frequencies... Not good. Dropping sample rate to 128 gave me a latency of about 11ms and tuner started to respond accurately. Not a big deal as we have our tuner built in but thought I should share.

Here's the thread on the NI forum http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80118 ... Bug report filed but I have no idea how NI will treat this beyond this workaround.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

CanadaBoy23,

While your method would work IF, IF, IF the DF Instantly Activated Tuning was incorrect, it is not; it's dead nuts on A-440! If you re-read the thread carefully, you'll find that the problem (misunderstanding) arose from not giving GR3 the processing headroom it needs, thus giving a false reading from GR3. The solution is to change the sampling rate in GR3 (or get a faster computer, run fewer processes simultaneously, etc.), thus bringing it (GR3) into conformity with A-440. Or, just use an A-440 tuning fork to check tuning and ignore GR3. And, welcome to the forum!

Archived