Gibson Brands Forums

Rash of basket case Studios on ebay lately....

ksdaddy

There's always basket case Gibsons on ebay; I know, I check often. Most of the time they end up selling for a high enough price it's seldom worth chasing down original parts.... or even aftermarket parts of choice for that matter. I bought a couple early 60s Melody Makers for about $100 each a few years back, the only metal on either was the truss rod and frets, no other parts. Other than that I seldom see deals worth the effort.

Guitars do get parted out for many reasons, I understand that.... I parted out a '79 Strat a couple years ago because it was worth more dead than alive, so I have blood on my hands too. And much to my amusement a '79 Strat now has vintage status and I think I sold the 'heavier than a Buick' ash body (just the wood) for about the street price of a new Strat (complete!) in '79.

Lately there seems to always be at least 3 or 4 very recent Studios, void of all parts. What's the deal with that? Is there that much of a market for the pickups, tuners, etc that they would part one out? Or is this just a way of disposing of a reprobate Gibson, one that was a steaming POS when together? These are just used guitars, no vintage status.

Archived