Gibson Brands Forums

The 300k 500k pot?

steve sin

Is there any such thing as that? A pot that is switchable between 300k and 500k on the volume control.

I may be able to use some old Gibson pots though. I am kinda thinking they may sound good in an epi, anyone done that? I'd love to hear some tone samples.

Is there any such thing as that? A pot that is switchable between 300k and 500k on the volume control.

I may be able to use some old Gibson pots though. I am kinda thinking they may sound good in an epi, anyone done that? I'd love to hear some tone samples.

I don't know of anything like that but you could set up a mini switch with a 750K fixed resistor in parallel to the pot. When the switch was on (750K in the circuit) that would give you a 300K pot.

That mini switch idea is super cool! Thanks. [thumbup]

I think alot of the tone of an Gibson comes from the darker sounding volume pot but would also like my epi to be able to have the brighter tone it comes with.

The external resistor and switch mod will allow to load down the pickup a little more but won't create the function of a real 300 kOhms pot when rolled back. Loading down the pickup slightly more can also be done by rolling the tone pot to about 9.

It is best to leave the volume pot alone, let alone drill a hole into it, so I would try a push/pull or push/push pot. Either way, it's a senseless mod since I guess you have functioning tone pots, but it's your guitar.

Archived