Gibson Brands Forums

ABR-1 bridge - loose fit

Black Dog

I'm pretty sure this is normal but just wanted to check. My new LP has a ABR-1 bridge and I notice that it seems fairly loose on the posts. It can move around around 1mm or so. Enough to affect intonation. Also, the thumb wheels are really loose too. when I had the bridge off during a string change to clean, if you just touch them they go spinning all around. Not a really that big of a deal but then I have to reset the action with every string change. I suppose I could double up on the thumb wheels to lock them in place. Anyway. I think it's probably normal but I've never noticed that on my other guitars.

I'm pretty sure this is normal but just wanted to check. My new LP has a ABR-1 bridge and I notice that it seems fairly loose on the posts. It can move around around 1mm or so. Enough to affect intonation. Also, the thumb wheels are really loose too. when I had the bridge off during a string change to clean, if you just touch them they go spinning all around. Not a really that big of a deal but then I have to reset the action with every string change. I suppose I could double up on the thumb wheels to lock them in place. Anyway. I think it's probably normal but I've never noticed that on my other guitars.

when i change strings i do it 3 at a time, to avoid turning the thumbwheels, while still being able to properly clean.

Not good if the wiggle changes intonation. Is the bridge loose on the post or are the screw posts loose in the body?

You might consider locking tonepros. Two thumb wheels on a post is a good old trick to lock the height of the bridge.

If you change strings, just use masking tape to hold the thumb wheels and the bridge to the body.

Guest Farnsbarns

The wiggle won't change intonation, or even exist, once string pressure is on it.

You can double up on the thumb wheels but this will lock them horizontal, they're designed to allow some tilt, you could just reset them once you've restrung. It's a 60 year old design. It could be better, in fact, the Nashville bridge is arguably better engineering, bit it is entirely workable.

Archived