Gibson Brands Forums

Installing Treble Bleed in 2017 SG Standard T

WayneKW

I just got a 2017 SG Standard T and was thinking about putting treble bleed circuits in like I do on most of my guitars, but when I removed the control cavity cover I saw that it has a PCB which I had thought was only in the HP models, though without the dip switches that are in those models. I've never dealt with a guitar that had a PCB so I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do to make sure that putting the treble bleed circuit in doesn't damage the PCB. And though the lugs on the pots are oriented down into the PCB (instead of up as is usual for pots when viewed from the control cavity), I figure that the enumeration of the lugs is still the same (i.e., #1 on the left, #2 in the middle and #3 on the right). If it won't damage the PCB, I plan to solder the treble bleed circuits to the section of the #1 and #2 lugs that exit from the volume pots and before the lugs bend downward to enter the PCB.

Has anyone else done this? Any advice or tips?

I just got a 2017 SG Standard T and was thinking about putting treble bleed circuits in like I do on most of my guitars, but when I removed the control cavity cover I saw that it has a PCB which I had thought was only in the HP models, though without the dip switches that are in those models. I've never dealt with a guitar that had a PCB so I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do to make sure that putting the treble bleed circuit in doesn't damage the PCB. And though the lugs on the pots are oriented down into the PCB (instead of up as is usual for pots when viewed from the control cavity), I figure that the enumeration of the lugs is still the same (i.e., #1 on the left, #2 in the middle and #3 on the right). If it won't damage the PCB, I plan to solder the treble bleed circuits to the section of the #1 and #2 lugs that exit from the volume pots and before the lugs bend downward to enter the PCB.

Has anyone else done this? Any advice or tips?

I have a 2017 Standard T, and I think you will find that you are going to want to take that board out and do vintage wiring with pots, caps and real wires. it really loses something in the tone department with the PCB. I have a rewired Epiphone g-400 that blew away my Gibson 2017 Standard T, until I rewired it with 50's style wiring. then it was back to no comparison.

I have a 2017 Standard T, and I think you will find that you are going to want to take that board out and do vintage wiring with pots, caps and real wires. it really loses something in the tone department with the PCB. I have a rewired Epiphone g-400 that blew away my Gibson 2017 Standard T, until I rewired it with 50's style wiring. then it was back to no comparison.

Thanks, I'm considering doing just that.

I'd play the instrument as is it for a good long time before you go voiding the warranty.

I'd play it and listen carefully. You might decide that it doesn't need anything.

I think it comes down to style. If you use your volume controls a lot, then

the treble bleed will help you keep some presence at lower volumes.

If you play with the volume controls dimed like I often do, then it might not

make too much difference.

Many players remove the PCB and install traditional wiring, but I'd recommend

playing it well and loud before considering that. Just see how it sounds and you

will know.

Congratulations anyway, the 2017s are awesome IMHO.

Archived