Gibson Brands Forums

Changing strings and MCK turned off,wont function.

Kris Ashby

Sure its broken? Did you check the battery? Also, did you follow all the instructions while restringing? I've heard the robotic parts are VERY finicky. I also heard about problems if you use strings with too thick a gauge.

I wish I could be more helpful, but my Dark Fire is still in the mail. Ordered it today, and I can't wait.

If all else fails, call Gibson. It might require an RMA, though it would be unfortunate.

Good luck ;)

Kris,

The manual says:

"Guide each string through your tailpiece, over the center of each saddle (where contact is essential), and through the nut slot, and then straight through the post hole. Pull a slight amount of tension on the string, and tighten down the locking nut on the post hole. Cut the extra length off each string close to the post so that they will not make contact with other strings, as that would cause the system to function improperly. Also, do not use any strings which have frayed wraps at the ball end, because that could short circuit the Data-Transmitting Tailpiece. It will not damage the Tailpiece, but Dark Fire will not function if any part of the string touches beyond its insulated holder."

Try this:

- Charge the battery!!!

- Make sure that the strings are not touching each other at all!! Is each string cut off close to the post, no contact with others??

- "Pull a slight amount of tension on the strings" to make sure that no string is touching a fret as this will short out the system!!

- Check all saddles. Are all strings in the center of each saddle?

- Check the tailpiece holes, are the ball ends not touching the tailpiece at all??

- Check the strings ball ends, poorly wound string ball ends (frayed wraps) may cause a short inside the tailpiece hole.

- Did you change tailpiece height?? If you screwed it down, closer to the body, make sure no string is touching the bridge behind the saddle (tailpiece direction!!). In this case adjust th bridge also.

Regards

Tronical

You play. We tune.

Kris,

The manual says:

"Guide each string through your tailpiece, over the center of each saddle (where contact is essential), and through the nut slot, and then straight through the post hole. Pull a slight amount of tension on the string, and tighten down the locking nut on the post hole. Cut the extra length off each string close to the post so that they will not make contact with other strings, as that would cause the system to function improperly. Also, do not use any strings which have frayed wraps at the ball end, because that could short circuit the Data-Transmitting Tailpiece. It will not damage the Tailpiece, but Dark Fire will not function if any part of the string touches beyond its insulated holder."

Try this:

- Charge the battery!!!

- Make sure that the strings are not touching each other at all!! Is each string cut off close to the post, no contact with others??

- "Pull a slight amount of tension on the strings" to make sure that no string is touching a fret as this will short out the system!!

- Check all saddles. Are all strings in the center of each saddle?

- Check the tailpiece holes, are the ball ends not touching the tailpiece at all??

- Check the strings ball ends, poorly wound string ball ends (frayed wraps) may cause a short inside the tailpiece hole.

- Did you change tailpiece height?? If you screwed it down, closer to the body, make sure no string is touching the bridge behind the saddle (tailpiece direction!!). In this case adjust the bridge also.

Regards

Tronical

You play. We tune.

Ahhh, poetic justice that's for sure!!! Sorry to hear you're having trouble but it will be fun to see you go through the process without joining all the good folk you previously bad-mouthed on the forum. Common sense anyone? ;-)

On a serious note, I wish you all the luck. There is nothing worse than a dead DF. I hope you get out of this one with a reset or something.

I recently bought a Darkfire and couildn't be happier.I must of got the one that works right' date='Or everyone that doesn't like it is an idiot.Don't buy a robot if your going to complain about the obvious.Its not a traditional guitar,should not be used by beginners(learn how to tune an instrument old school first!)Don't rely on new tech.This Darkfire is brilliant and must have patience to get to know it.I have figured out eveything about it on my own and ewnjoy how IN TUNE NEVER OUT OF TUNE IT IS.Use it right bend the strings all you want( I play blues and Metal)I have had more problems with nice traditional guitars and probably will only play my DarkFire.Humans are spoiled,so check one out in person,don't listen to the forums.They do have bugs,but are being worked out.Come on people there is alot of starving people with no guitars,be thankfull you jerks could afford a Darkfire let alone complain about it.[/quote']

Well look who came crawling back... [-X

I'm kidding...

Seriously, though, good luck getting it fixed. That has gotta suck to wait forever for a guitar that doesn't work properly.

Quality Control, people!! Use it!

Archived