Gibson Brands Forums

Neck adjustment with the robotguitars?

Xuestor

Hey!

I've been checkin' out these awesome guitars with the robotic features on them, and are pleased with the different tuning options. I just wonder how this is handled without adjusting the neck relief?

Won't the neck or strings break?

Cheers

/Xuestor

No, the neck or strings won't break. It might be normal to pop a string once in a while, but, that can occur with any tuning or guitar and is some what normal once in a while. I really have not broken a string in a long time. I play enough during the week and weekends to warrant a string change every other week and sometimes weekly.

Generally, the reason for breaking strings is they get old and lose their elasticity or the string could be catching on a point at the nut, or the bridge (in which cae you should repair that problem). Possibly, even a little lube (like graphite) will take care of the problem. The nut on the DF is specifically made for causing less friction to occur on the strings as you make the different tuning changes.

An adjustment to the truss rod can generally be set up for all tunings, but you might experience a little fret buzz now and again, especially with low tunings. I like my action set low and get sum fret buzz, but it doesn't transfer to the sound coming from the amp (or at least it's not loud nough to hear much, if any).

The DF tuning capability is a fantastic feature.

This thread made me think about the nut. Although its advertised as a very slippery Teflon based material chances are its going to wear off faster than other guitars since we tend to tune more often and to different tunings. Something to watch as wear on the nut will further lower the action and cause buzz.

Maybe, and maybe MCK (although I doubt both). Watching wear is a always a wise decision. But just because it's Teflon-based, does not necessarily mean it'll be softer or wear faster: it's just slicker (resists wear). I don't know if you have any machining experience, but I've replaced many worn out steel parts (aluminum, titanium, brass, and bronze too), after just a year or two (worn out), with Delrin and similar synthetics; and 40+ years later they're still going strong with no measurable wear (and, FWIW, {among other things} I'm a zero tolerance machinist/tool-and die-maker). Less friction, less wear! Nonetheless, your advice is well taken. In the end, we're only talking about an easily-replaced, less than $5.00 part; many of us replace/adjust it anyway upon purchase and subsequent setup, although I see no reason to replace the DF nut, and mine doesn't need adjustment. Cheers!

Great point! Thanks for giving us your expert opinion. I am sure this thing is stronger than the Teflon coated frying pans I get yelled at for scratching in the kitchen! I was thinking about those things and got a little worried I suppose.

Archived