Gibson Brands Forums

57 classic pick up question

wrench87

i was just looking for information on the classic pick ups. i bought a 2007 61 reissue i was changing the pick up rings and i noticed the neck pick up has a patent applied for sticker and another sticker with a date that is a few days later then the guitar was built and the wire cover is silver braided. now the bridge pick up does not have any sticker, but has gibson usa scribed to the bottom and has a greyish color wire cover. is this normal the previous owner had installed metal pick up rings. i am new to guitars and just trying to learn , any information would be appreciated.

thanks for the information, the neck pick up has a sticker that says 57 classic, how can you tell if it is a 490 or a 498?. in your opinion why would someone swap out a 57 classic for a 490 series. also is the 61 reissue suppose to have a 57 classic and a 57 classic plus.?

how would the classic and 490 or 498 compare to the 57classic and the 57 classic plus. i would like to return it to stock.

I will have to check the specs on the 490T and 498T pickup but the two pickups will vary in ohms. If you have an ohm meter and can get a reading , should be able to figure out which one you have. You can also look on this website for the sound difference of the the 498T , 490T pickups and 57+ Classic pickups.

so why do the 61 reissues use the same ohm resistasnce for the neck and bridge pick up they list it as 57 classic and 57 classic?, is this waht gives it a nice sound. or does it make more sense to use the classic plus in the bridge. because my bridge pick up was changed i am not sure wich bridge pick up to buy.

badjuju thanks for the responses, i want it to do a little of every thing, that is why i bought a sg because it is so versatile. i like the idea of the 57 plus because it will add a little more punch and would be brighter as you said, but will it take away from the classic sound that the 61 reissues have or will it just compliment it?. i am just learning so i guess it doesnt matter much, but i want to install one of the 2 pick ups and just button up the guitar and concentrate on playing. i dont want to look back if i install the classic and wish i installed the plus.

Archived