Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Identification (Goth Variant of 2002 G-400?)

Mike K

Hi everyone,

I found a Ephipone SG in a pawn shop over the weekend while out. Been considering getting one lately so it caught my eye. This one is a bit odd, I don't know a ton about them (been learning more online based on this one however).

Based on the serial number, it's a Korean build, from 2002. It has the "Goth" set neck with no fret markers and a roman numeral 12, circle and cross head stock. But it's a Cherry finish. All the Goth SGs I've seen online appear to be black.

I've reached out to Gibson support and sent them some pictures. Based on what I see in the pictures, I THINK it's a SG G-400 variant but I'd like to be sure before I go back and start talking price. I didn't think to check if it has coil taps (G-400 Pro), and since it's a set neck that means it's not a Special. However, that doesn't mean that it wasn't some hybrid repair job.

Anyone seen something like this? I'll post a pic once save it somewhere to view.

Thanks,

Mike

If your SG has a set neck it is a G-400, but having the Goth markings on it with red or cherry finish would be very unusual. I have never seen a Goth that wasn't black or a satin black with black hardware....

Below the last Goth G-400 that is no longer in production....

PB_Splash.jpg

Archived