Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone with GR3, RIP Installed on Vista 32 test something for me?

MCK

Hi everyone, I have a problem in GR3 which I'm trouble shooting with NI technicians but I am not sure if they have any RIP boxes available to them so it might take longer than I'd like. I'm trying to isolate the issue and see if the RIP box or its drivers are causing this situation. So if one of you out there with similar configuration, WinVista 32, GR3, RIP box etc can test this for me I'd really appreciate it.

So please start GR3, load any preset with say Skreamer effect in it. Simply right click on the on/off switch.

Then you will see the learn context menu. Click Learn and then press any keyboard key, say "S". You should get a prompt that tells you the Learning process has been completed successfully. From now on you can turn Skreamer on/off using the S button on the keyboard.

If you got this far all is well and the issue is not related to our RIP config. In my case Learn function does not respond at all. The Learn completed prompt does not come up at all and I can't map any keyboard presses to any part of GR3.

Now the last test, after the learn please close GR3 (X marks the spot!). In my case I get a nasty crash if I have tried the Learn process. Lets see if your mileage varies.

Thanks for all your assistance. Cheers

Guys come on. NI came back to say they do not have a RIP in their office to test & verify whether the issue is related to RIP or not. Since there is another bug in the RIP I am hoping to nail this down asap so Gibson can get this fixed as well. NI says the Learn function failure is related to the Audio subsystem in use so there is a chance it can be related to the RIP. Your testing should not take anymore than few minutes. Your help will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MCK, I'll try this tonight for you and report back. Just thought about it (and edited this post), I don't have GR3 installed on Vista 32. I have it installed on WinXP....will that still work as a test for you MCK ?

Hey, a quick queston for you. The GR3 Kontrol floor pedal......if I bought a used floor pedal...should it work fine with the GR3 software version that came with our DF's ? I would think so, but wanted to see if you knew.

Hey, a quick queston for you. The GR3 Kontrol floor pedal......if I bought a used floor pedal...should it work fine with the GR3 software version that came with our DF's ? I would think so, but wanted to see if you knew.

It should work fine - i.e. its plug & play

Just ignore the audio connections - use RIP.

MCK' date=' I'll try this tonight for you and report back. Just thought about it (and edited this post), I don't have GR3 installed on Vista 32. I have it installed on WinXP....will that still work as a test for you MCK ?

Hey, a quick queston for you. The GR3 Kontrol floor pedal......if I bought a used floor pedal...should it work fine with the GR3 software version that came with our DF's ? I would think so, but wanted to see if you knew.[/quote']

Hi MLB, thanks for your offer to test. I think the way Vista & XP work is substantially different in that what works on one may not work on the other but if you can test that would be great! This way we can narrow the playing field a little. Thanks for your help.

hey mck, i can try this tonight since i just got the DF back yesterday. I did left click the learn button a few times last night, but never tried right clicking it. if i left clicked it stayed depressed until i left clicked it again. i didn't figure out what it was for (wanted to play instead of read manuals) but when i closed gr3 i didn't have any issues either. this probably doesn't help much but i can give you more info tonight

Hi there. Actually you can also go the way you initiated the learn process. In theory, right after you press Learn and it stays pressed in, next keypress on the keyboard should make it pop back up and give you a Learning completed type message. From then on whenever you press that key which you "Learned" it maps to whatever you Learned it into. When you clicked Learn and it stayed pressed did you press any other keys? Thanks for your help here. Most appreciated.

MCK

Just a thought

What type Computer and Keyboard do you have?

i know you are running Vista 32, but many computers have a "media keyboard" with custom keys for launching DVD's, shopping the Dell / HP store, checking email, etc.

Often these keyboards use a custom keyboard profile driver that cripples third party apps ( like GR3) from creating "macro" key commands.

Often swapping to a generic keyboard solves the issue.

MCK

Just a thought

What type Computer and Keyboard do you have?

i know you are running Vista 32' date=' but many computers have a "media keyboard" with custom keys for launching DVD's, shopping the Dell / HP store, checking email, etc.

Often these keyboards use a custom keyboard profile driver that cripples third party apps ( like GR3) from creating "macro" key commands.

Often swapping to a generic keyboard solves the issue.[/quote']

Elantric, sorry I missed this post earlier. I am trying this on my Lenovo X61 which has a regular laptop keyboard.

NI confirmed this feature only works on a PC with working audio subsystem. Quite cryptic reply. Then I asked them to verify on a PC installed with a RIP and they said errrm, don't have one. Go figure. You make a 5 to 6 figure deal with Gibson to distribute 4000 copies of GR3 and not bother to setup for support. Oh well, so thats why we're doing this.

I fear the issue might be affecting all people with Vista and RIP combination. Lets hope I'm proven wrong so I get to convince my family I finally need that MacBook Pro!!! Thanks for your help & insight.

Ok. Mystery solved. I tried one last time with the whole shebang. All along I was trying this while my RIP not connected to my PC. With the RIP connected and powered up the learning feature works as advertised. Not sure what the relevance is and why its not documented in any ways but I am glad this is resolved before I went crazy. Now onto Learning all those MIDI actions from the FCB 1010. Thanks for all the help here.

MCK, I also didn't have an option to get into learn mode with no RIP connected, so I was thinkin I wasn't even gettin as close as you got. This week I just haven't had any time to get back to this....glad you sorted it out tho. #-o

Yup. I'm glad too. Its not clear to me from a logic standpoint why you would need to have the RIP connected to "Learn" mappings of pedal/keyboard actions to parts of software but it is what it is. Wish it was spelled out clearly in NI docs so people like us wouldn't have to waste time. But hey, now its resolved so we're ok.

Archived