Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Truss Rod adjustment

idw357

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best setting, and how to measure, the neck setting on the ES-339? I bought it new and it was essentially flat, so I had to back off the truss rod nut a little every few days until I got some daylight under the strings. I am currently measuring the gap at the 9th fret, while keeping the string held down at the 1st and 14th. This is how it is written in the Gibson Les Paul manual. But there is no such truss rod adjustment advice in the Epiphone ES-339 manual.

Thank you,

Ian

The goal will always be the same - lowest possible action with the least amount of -or no- fret buzz. Once you get the neck relief set your only other option is to raise or lower the bridge to get that optimal setting. Don't forget to reset the intonation when you're thru. That's how I approach it anyway and how I setup my 339. That's how I setup all my guitars come to think of it. Perfect is an illusion IMO but close enough is very do-able. Have fun doing it yourself! Great way to learn

Here I will quote from an experienced friend who has shared his method on another forum.

This method works very well, and is the opposite of what you are normally told.

This works well enough that it ought to be made a sticky. My friend's online handle is "Biddlin."

"Start in your normal tuning, ie if you play in double drop c tune your guitar to double drop c .

Retune between each adjustment.

Begin by setting the bridge height for frets 17-22 so that the strings play buzz free

at the lowest possible height.

Start with low E. Lower the bass side until it buzzes, raise until clear.

Check A and D raise slightly if needed to get clean notes. Then do the treble side.

If you bend notes up here, try a few typical bends, to make sure they don't buzz out.

When all strings play clean go to the lower frets and neck relief.

Play the high E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod)

to relieve buzz or decreasing relief (tightening trussrod) to lower the string height.

So tighten, by fractional turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't.

If you bend strings , do your typical bends to insure they don't buzz out.

Once satisfied, check the other strings and make small adjustments as needed.

Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done."

Archived