Gibson Brands Forums

return of DF 1440

boardusmcer

first off, thanks to gibson for the quick return and fixing the electrical issue i had. (extremely distorted whenever the mck was on, in play mode or not) But on the return of the guitar it looks like someone enjoyed playing it while it was in nashville. Since i had only strummed it for about an hour or two before having to send it back the strings were still practically new, just broken in and the pick guard was near mint condition. I pulled the guitar out and after tuning to standard tuning the second time, about 10 mins. after playing the B snapped. all the strings were really worn and the pick guard is scratched to all hell from playing. It looked like a guitar that had been played carelessly for 6 months to a year, not a two week old guitar i'd only played (carefully) for about 2 hours. It's nothing worth sending BACK to gibson for, i'm just considering removing the pick guard because now i look like the idiot who didn't care about dicking it up. Cosmetics aside though, the guitar is sounding great and i'm stoked to finally be using the RIP and gr3, which is the important thing anyway. Glad someone else got some enjoyment out of 1440 +:-@/ just be careful next time!

boardusmcer,

What's this all about? On top of everything else, we now have to worry about Gibson employees using/abusing our guitars as demos if RMAed back for repair? I think Henry J. needs to be informed about this and do something about it, perhaps fire some people. I certainly hope you'll let him know; obviously, some of his employees are out of control. This is unconscionable!

i'll post some pics of it this evening, but honestly i assumed that they would need to play it to figure out what was causing it to be distorted. I was considering removing the pickguard anyways, i really like how elantric's looks without it and with the different knobs. (not to copy, but it really looks great). If it takes a scratched pick-guard and me swapping a set of strings to get the guitar i wanted when i bought it, so be it. I'm assuming since most of the employees didn't even get a chance to use the DF before it went out maybe someone took some "extra time" to see what it was all about. I think i'm too excited to have the guitar back to be pissed about the scratches, but i did think it was worth mentioning for anyone else who had to do an RMA. I don't think most people would be as forgiving, and i wouldn't be if i couldn't undo the damage (change strings, remove the guard) i just wanted to let everyone else know to take a close look at their guitar on return

We are approaching the 4th dimension here!

Your are right, it feels like some workers there are out of control, and do not care much on their own will.

I don't mind having someone in Nashville playing the guitar, as that make sense. But just like if skipped QC and having to return the guitar for fixing was not enough, it is back from repair looking second hand!!!

I am expecting service to actually look after the DF and give extra care, you know, a bit of cleaning, new strings, new scratch plate, Swags & Tennessee Bourbon in the case, invite us all to Nashville, kind words, apologies, you name it. Just small details that would make customers understand Gibson actually CARES and is willing to make us forget about the awkward launch. Make us feel like we are important to them.

Juts like they did with Elantric's, the first ever DF RMA, as far as I know.

So, I just don't know if we are a minority here on the forum *****ing and complaining and making a fuss out of thin air, somehow going out of reality, albeit with humour and good mood, but I do remember Guy Kawasaki, one of the early Apple Evangelists emphasizing the all importance of customer service for the image of a company. And I remember that Apple was using Nordstrom as an example of great customer service, where say, your toaster would be replaced with a few kind words, a smile and apologies if something went wrong with it, regardless of what was wrong, because what mattered the most was HAPPY customers.

And now, despite what Henry wants us to be, I still feel there is a LOT of room for CS improvement,

And to finish on a positive note, at first I thought it started well, despite the first shipments sort of skipping QC, Elantric's DF was well taken care of, the invitation to the DF party at NAMM was a great move (though instantiated by customers at first), there was some good announcements on the web site, a DF blog was started, Henry wanted us to be happy,

So why not keep that mood going? I am interested too see, on a DF blog, that there will be an Acoustic Robot soon, great, but hey Gibson, how about being nice to your current customers?? I mean being EXTRA nice, just this time, just for DF owners ;-)

Discipline and respect for other peoples property went out of fashion in 1979.

I blame American cable TV, lowered US scholastic standards, General Mills Sugar packed breakfast cereals, declining morals and self respect.

I think as a culture we are still dealing with guilt of unleashing the atom, and cold war, Nixon.

There's a reason Chevrolets, Gibsons, Fenders built prior to November 22 1963 have a high value today.

The parents of most folk in the workforce today were too emotionally damaged from the current events of their life, to take the time to instill a high set of moral standards.

Sorry for getting really off topic

or am I ?

#-o well put, i will say for gibson that their CS was 100x's better than what i recieved from the store i purchased the guitar from. I had to leave the guitar to tend to my mother who went into the hospital all the way in indiana (she's fine now, no worries) and it didn't stop working until i returned, but it was over the store's 7-day return policy so when i just asked for the box to send the guitar back for RMA, didn't even want to return it, they couldn't be bothered with finding a box suitable to ship the guitar in for me. They actually told me to go to a grocery store and see if they had some kind of cardboard box i could put it in instead of using an actual guitar shipping box. They also suggested that i use the black gibson box the guitar came in!!!??? So at least compared to Jammin' Johns in jacksonville, NC... gibson customer service is OUTSTANDING. I will say that the store located on camp lejeune is great and i buy lots of gear through them, actually anything i need from the other store i have sent to the one on base so i don't even have to go to the one out in town. On a final bad note, while my pregnant wife was trying to get this guitar for me as a surprise they refused to ring her up while they bickered over who would recieve the commission and then told her i wouldn't ever want the black box and it would be easier to transport in just the white case.... anyways, done *****ing about the store, but i highly recommend no one go there

As Elantric Said-

"I blame American cable TV, lowered US scholastic standards, General Mills Sugar packed breakfast cereals, declining morals and self respect".

Could be alcohol related, blame everything on booze...Reminds me, let me grab another!

Mark T

Archived