Gibson Brands Forums

Loud poping from GOR???

VBB

I thought the input Jack was shorting out, but then I noticed this noise even when touching the strings. (checked the input - alls well there)

I use gold Monster rock cables and sometimes when I touch the strings, cord jack on guitar or bidge or pickup I get a loud pop. The slight hum is eliminated like on all guitars, but the pop sounds like something shorting out. (doesn't do it with my strat into same cord/amp) Started a couple months ago and does it with 2 different amps. Seems like it's in the Robot.

Any ideas?

VBB,

Check your ground system from the wall through amp, cable, pedals, cable, guitar internals. Make sure everything is continuous. You didn't press a ground lift switch or install a ground lift, did you? Very dangerous, if so. There's voltage in the Robot strings; that pop is most likely caused by a short or lifted ground somewhere and your body is the conductor. Hope this helps!

Good point Elantric, that's why I started it here, but just didn't seem to get many responses, so I thought I would post there and take it with a grain of salt.

thanks for your insight,

Val

Archived