Gibson Brands Forums

P90 neck pickup is not working

X42

Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've actually been reading this forum for over a month.

I have a DF with a problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced. The neck pickup seems to be dead (it's never worked... for me). I can switch the toggle to the bridge and all is fine but switching it to the neck position produces no sound. To be sure, I turned every knob while the toggle was set for the neck and still no sound. In reading the forum I've learned about many of the common problems but I did not find anyone with this problem. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or does this DF need to be sent for repair. Any suggestions?

This is certainly a first!!! Welcome onboard and I hope you have been enjoying your DF in all other aspects. I can't think of anything one could be doing wrong to cause this really. I am afraid you're in for an RMA. Hope it works out well. Please let us know how it goes and if you don't mind post on the registry thread so we can include your DF in the list. Thanks

the first thing i would do is call gibson and see if they can tell you over the phone how to inspect the back of your toggle switch to make sure it is making good contact... it could just be the toggle in which case they could do as they did for another member and send you one and have you install it (this would be better than an RMA) they also may be able to have you troubleshoot the problem while on the phone to see if it is in fact the toggle or if you're going to have to ship it back. Either way you'll need to call gibson unless elantric or someone more knowledgable than me can walk you through the troubleshooting process. I wish you luck and I hope you don't have to send it back

Goes without saying... first is a call to Gibson. Hate to do this but I don't think there is any easy way to troubleshoot.

The issue could be in the P90 itself, the connector from P90 to the CPU or the cable etc.

Then there is the possibility that the toggle, or its cable or the connector is bad.

The printed circuitboard where toggle plugs into might have a problem

Last but not least the CPU box where the P90 plugs into this route though

So someone needs to go through all these to figure out whats going on. The policy is RMA for all customers. What they did for me was an exception given my remote location and lack of Gibson support readiness. Even then if I had the same problem I bet they would just offer a RMA since they wouldn't want to send all the parts that "might" be faulty and let me fiddle around potentially damaging all that hard to come by & valuable stuff.

Sorry to say this but I hope I didn't cause any false expectations around here. RMA is the way to go. Good luck.

Archived