Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to find information

Ochmanski

If the guitar is black, then I believe the EB stands for ebony or perhaps if it has a built in pickup in it, maybe the E could stand for electric (as in acoustic-electric) and the B is black finish.  If it has no built in pickup in it, the EB likely is for its ebony finish. A search of Yahoo or Google or even e-Bay under Epiphone AJ-15 should be able to provide more background info on the model.  

FYI, I have in my collection an Epiphone AJ-12 VS (VS is vintage sunburst.). Mine is acoustic only.  I bought mine circa 2003.  It was a model between AJ-10 and AJ-15 that Sam Ash Music specially had Epiphone make for its stores. Mine has a laminated Sitka top and laminated mahogany (or something similar) sides and back.  It has a round shouldered Gibson Jumbo shape to it.  The AJ stands for Advanced Jumbo, which was a historic Gibson model.  The Epi AJ is an entry level economical version of the much higher priced solid wood historic Gibson Advanced Jumbo.  One of the things that drew me to buy my Epiphone AJ-12 was it had an exceptional cool vibe about it for such an inexpensive guitar.  Plus, it’s neck had a vintage guitar feel to it, so I kinda had to have it in my collection.  Plus, it’s finish was really good.  I assume the AJ-15 similarly has a cool vibe, great neck, and great finish to it.  Being a laminated topped guitar, mine sounds really good in the house, but when I have taken it out to my music jam, the solid topped guitars there have a lot more volume and strength in their sound.  So I keep it at home as a good practice guitar.   

Elsewhere in this Epiphone Acoustic section is a posting string called Decoding Epiphone Serial Numbers that should provide  you enough info on decoding the guitar’s serial number to learn the year it was made and where.

It’s a great guitar gift you bought for your mom!

Hope this helps!

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark