Gibson Brands Forums

SG Silver robot - FIXED IT MYSELF

bernieb

OK so I just made purchase - one of only a few(?) Silver Burst SG in the province of Ontario. There are only 24 left at the distributor not having made their way out yet. BEAUTIFUL finish and was I happy, but stupid me I did'nt notice that the bridge P/U was sounding not so "powerful" as it should have been. I drove home not knowing that I bought a defective guitar.

That night I kept on playing with it and got frustrated by the minute asking why Gibson could let something like this out the door not having properly tested it. The bridge sounded terrible and it's an hour drive back to the dealer. Finally I figured out that the volume potentiometer was intermittant and as I put some 90 degree force on the shaft, bingo all was well! Definately a bad/poor pot. I'm not even going to complain about this because for the 10 dollars or so for the pot it is not worth my time to drive all the way back to the dealer and have this guitar gone for the turn around period. My trade is electrical engineering and it is nothing for me to fix this after the warrantee runs out.

Does anyone know if these pots are from overseas? Thank goodness the pickups were OK and did'nt ruin my opinion of Gibson. PS - I did not tell any of my "Fender" fans about this yet. It would be cool if Gibson would just send me a replacement pot and TRUST me that I can fix it myself but I know that would never happen.

• 3 weeks later...
... got frustrated by the minute asking why Gibson could let something like this out the door not having properly tested it. The bridge sounded terrible and it's an hour drive back to the dealer. Finally I figured out that the volume potentiometer was intermittant...

I'm in the UK but it's exactly the same on my Silverburst SG Robot - bridge

pick-up pot was practically dead when it arrived. Only after incessant waggling

did it begin to let through any signal and even now is weak at best and cuts

out altogether frequently.

It's going to have to go back at some point. I'll wait until the DarkFire upgrade

packs are out and get them to fix it at the same time they install that.

Archived