Gibson Brands Forums

Best affordable acoustic guitars for BLUES

GuitarEcho

I need help in deciding to purchase my first acoustic guitar... Can anyone recommend 2-4 acoustic guitars that meets the following criteria: 
* an acoustic guitar that has a "blues/rock" sound.
* a guitar with minimal bracing.
* an arch top guitar. These guitars have minimal bracing as the strings are tied to the sidewall not the top plate.  
* Slide guitars typically have a higher action and are not as finger friendly for melody work, etc.
* The slide should match the guitar.  The best match might be glass, ceramic, brass, or steel.   
* Stay away from single cutaway shapes.  Full shoulder guitars give  a fuller sound.

That's it. I look forward to your recommendations/suggestions.

I’m not a player who believes any specific music genre is solely tied to a specific type or look of a guitar model.   I believe tone and style  and playing expertise is tied to one’s hands, heart, and practicing disciplines. 

However, with that being said, you might want to look into Epiphone’s Masterbuilt Century Series Olympic or Zenith models for a relatively reasonably priced acoustic archtop.  They have an acoustic or electric archtop sound and a really straight and chunky neck that can handle slide licks.   Or, another affordable guitar is an Epiphone EL-00 Pro, which is a 00 style solid topped bodied guitar typically associated with acoustic blues playing.  It also has a built in pick up.

I own both the Olympic and EL00-Pro models, I use them both (as well as all of my instruments) for all types of music, which includes slide delta blues as well as jazz, rock, folk, folk-rock, country,classical.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1