Gibson Brands Forums

Did Some Horse Trading Today

zombywoof

On 6/11/2020 at 12:33 AM, QuestionMark said:

Supposedly, Jimi Hendrix’ 6 string acoustic guitar was a 55/56 F79, also.  (Not to be confused with his 12 string guitar that is in a YT video.). His F79, though, sold for something like $50,000 years ago because it was his.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

The FT-79 owned by Hendrix  was an earlier version with the cherry neck and mahogany body.

Edited by zombywoof

On 6/10/2020 at 12:33 AM, zombywoof said:

After having to move guitars from the room where they were stashed so we could install  new carpeting and a Murphy Bed , I found myself facing the fact I was living my own version of The Trouble with Tribbles.   And thus I embarked on a noble quest to lighten the load.    Today was Step 1.  After an entire afternoon of going back and forth  a deal was stuck.  Five guitars out and one guitar plus some cash in.      So what was the sole guitar delivered into my hands asks you.  Well, says I,  as this is a Gibson Forum  it is safe to assume that is the moniker adorning the headstock.   So, I am now the owner of a 1920 Gibson L3.    Mind you we are still getting acquainted but so far me like.  This thing has a lot of voice for such a small package.  13 frets to the body and a big honking  V neck.  All original including its Geib & Schaefer case.   Even had some case candy in it.  The photo of the guitar  is courtesy of the guy I got it from.  She is a looker, ain't she?

Gibson-L3-1.jpg 

Geib-Schaeffer-Case.jpg

Now THAT is a stunner, Zomb! Absolutely gorgeous. Would love to hear some samples at some point once you're properly acquainted 😌

6 hours ago, Jinder said:

Now THAT is a stunner, Zomb! Absolutely gorgeous. Would love to hear some samples at some point once you're properly acquainted 😌

While I am more of a microphone plugged into a reel to reel type,  my daughter has everything she needs to make sound recordings.  So maybe down the road I an get her to take pity on her old man and help me out,.  The main difference between the L3 and the flattops I am more used to is the amount of attack you hear which requires a different way of approaching the guitar.  The L3 though is voiced towards the mids and upper-mids.  Lots of punch and growl.   Thus guitar though really does qualify as a work of art.  Probably second only to the Style O.