Gibson Brands Forums

SWDS, not so much,until...

deadbug

I have a couple of acoustics and wanted a full size dread so I picked up the song writer deluxe studio used on reverb a few months ago.  

This is the first rosewood bodied one and it came with 12's on it, put some new strings on it immediately, the set up was pretty standard on it, and was having a hard time trying to like it, kept swapping strings 

and couldn't figure it out, until I went up to 13's and wullah a star was born. Now it's easy to say it is very much now one of my favorites!

Just throwing this out there in hopes that someone else might not pass over what a great beast this thing is !

Rich,

I can agree that different guitars require different strings.  If the 13’s work on this guitar that’s great. Been thinking to try 13’s on my Dove.  Most of my guitars wok fine with 12’s, but some are better with 13’s. I have a feeling that that might be the case with the Dove. I have an100 year old Oscar Schmidt (Galiano) that Jake Wildwood just finished up for me that he strung with 11’s. It sounds, & plays great. My Dreadnaught JR2 just has to have 13’s period. 

Curious about the Song Writer Deluxe Studio though. Fist time I’ve heard of this particular model. I’ve seen the Song Writer Deluxe.  But not the Studio model. What is the difference? I  just looked it up, & it looks pretty much identical to it’s counterpart.

Edited by Paul14

Good question, Its escaping me at the moment but let me see what I can dig up! It was a $500 difference maybe Fishman instead of Bags 

possibly the saddle and nut is different, Hard to get an accurate description of both 

Edited by deadbug