Gibson Brands Forums

1993 Joe Pass, Real or Fake ?

Undertone

Hi guys, I just bought a gorgeous and fairly priced 1993 Joe Pass MIK Samick, it looks legit to me and plays great, loving it so far.

But there is a couple of odd details : No stickers inside, headstock floral looks weird ..

Here's a couple of pictures, I'd love to know what you guys think 🙂 

Merry Christmas !

shaevbdoz6uvrroxbxbg (1).jpg

xkrong9qyfyq5vkovocl.jpg

zofz4rod3dsvwnvj4bzr.jpg

zuxx2rirt30mkopch8dq.jpg

I think it's real and looks very nice.  It should have a couple of push-pull pots which coil tap the pickups.

Comparing the headstock inlay with pics - it looks correct.

https://www.google.com/search?q=epiphone+joe+pass&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjV3qK-_ObtAhVRhlwKHRbQCiYQ_AUoAnoECAgQBA&biw=1920&bih=1086

Happy Xmas!

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

I think it's real and looks very nice.  It should have a couple of push-pull pots which coil tap the pickups.

Comparing the headstock inlay with pics - it looks correct.

https://www.google.com/search?q=epiphone+joe+pass&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjV3qK-_ObtAhVRhlwKHRbQCiYQ_AUoAnoECAgQBA&biw=1920&bih=1086

Happy Xmas!

Thanks !

Well what I find odd on the headstock is that the last left branches are super close to each other and when comparing to other joe pass models, they don't seem so close.

Also the pickguard is not perfectly aligned with the pickup screw, maybe it's just design flaws 🤷‍♂️

Here's a pic comparing my headstock with other joe pass models, a close up shot, and the pickguard. 

Oh and I don't have the coil splitting feature !

131766083_723963278292780_6911448591655867716_n-min.jpg

Edited by Undertone